Solved Snapshot of /home/user, and other /home question

Greetings all,

I have created two pools, a system used for the system itself and storage.

1. On the pool system, I have created a data-set storage/home mounted on /home. Do I need to also create /user/home and link it to /home, or is it not necessary and the OS and applications will work?

2. As I understand, a zfs snapshot works on a data-set level. However, I would like to create separate zfs snapshot for each of the different users' home directories, i.e., /home/user_0X, X=(0, . . . N). This implies that I need to create a data-set for each of the user, which will be mounted on /home/user_0X. But creating the users by adduser(8) will create a directory at each of the storage/home data-set. Will this not create a problem? Or is there other way?

Kindest regards,

M

1. On the pool system, I have created a data-set storage/home mounted on /home. Do I need to also create /user/home and link it to /home, or is it not necessary and the OS and applications will work?
Not required if your home directory is correctly configured in /etc/passwd
But creating the users by adduser(8) will create a directory at each of the storage/home data-set. Will this not create a problem? Or is there other way?
No, adduser will not create the users home dataset. You will have to create this manually.

Hi m0nkey_,

thank you for the response. Regarding the second point, I think that you misread my post; I wrote that
adduser(8) will create a directory at each of the storage/home data-set
As best as I could tell, the newly created /home/user is mounted over the already created mount-point of the automatically created mount-point for the storage/home/user data-set.

Kindest regards,

M

Hi Wozzeck.Live,

as much as I appreciate your response, it does not correspond to my experience, unless, of course, I do something wrong. To wit:
1) "adduser" won't create any directory, this is done manually. Adduser just setup the user and the home path in the database.

2) Home directory is TOTALLY customizable. If adduser will set by default home at /usr/home/username in the /etc/passwd database, this is totally reconfigurable.

Re 1, the "Home directory" defaults to /home/user, which is not only a path. but a real directory, populated with, inter alia: .cshrc, .login, etc..

Re 2, default is, as I wrote /home/user.

Thank you for pointing me to the pw(8), but the example "Add new user Glurmo Smith (gsmith)" appears to use the adduser(8) command. Nevertheless, I will read the man page in detail to see whether another way of creating a user is possible as you seem to intimate.

Re 3, I am not quite following what you mean by
setup correctly in the /etc/passwd database
Is there and "incorrect" setup of the /etc/passwd database?

Kindest regards,

M

Back