SMPlayer and Audacious breaks Firefox open containing folder for download

Hi. I have found that if I install SMPlayer or Audacious, when I try to open the containing folder for a download in Firefox, instead of opening up my file manager, SMPlayer or Audacious opens.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that, and if there are fixes or workarounds.

Edit -> Preferences -> Applications Tab

Thanks. But to use that I will have to add all the MIME types that I'm likely to download to Firefox.

To me this seems like a bug, because this behaviour only happens if I install SMPlayer or Audacious (possibly other programs as well). Without those programs, it correctly opens my file manager.

Thanks. But to use that I will have to add all the MIME types that I'm likely to download to Firefox.

To me this seems like a bug, because this behaviour only happens if I install SMPlayer or Audacious (possibly other programs as well). Without those programs, it correctly opens my file manager.

You do not have to add all the MIME types. If you click an application category a drop down box will appear with several options. The options are to save/download the file, always ask the user, or choose from the available MIME types. When you install SMPlayer or Audacious, the MIME type is automatically added as an option.
Here is an image of the application panel. Apologies in advance, it is a MS Windows image but the options are the same.
2013-07-18-08-08-58-b70d8b.png

You do not have to add all the MIME types. If you click an application category a drop down box will appear with several options. The options are to save/download the file, always ask the user, or choose from the available MIME types. When you install SMPlayer or Audacious, the MIME type is automatically added as an option.
Here is an image of the application panel. Apologies in advance, it is a MS Windows image but the options are the same.

The problem for me is that even when I download a file, say a .jar file, which is totally unrelated to Audacious. When the download completes, I want to open containing folder in my file manager, but instead it opens Audacious and starts playing an mp3 file from my download folder.

More information is needed. Some file-manager can also be set up for various mime types. Are you calling the file manager from Firefox? Do you get the same behavior if you just download the file, start the file-manager and browse to the download?

Yes I am calling the file manager from Firefox. After download is complete, I click on the download button in the top right, then right-click on the downloaded file and select "open containing folder".

The application that is called when you "open containing folder" should be the one with the wayward mime type.

Back