Solved Slow USB3 on Thinkpad 470s

Using DD for example, I'm burning an ISO to USB3 stick and seeing 300K/sec.

I found PR 244356 but it's over my head. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to troubleshoot?

I've read the PR 244356. Apparently there are few USB 3.0 sticks which have problems with some hardware configuration.
There are some useful information on that PR, but I doubt you can find any definite answer to your problem from that PR.
To single out possible hardware problems: Did you try different USB 3.0 sticks? Can you test it on different USB Hub/port?

Seems this is isolated to some specific hardware combinations, I'd also suggest using another (model) of USB stick. As a side note, the dirt cheap ones such as most Kingston's DataTraveler variants are practically unusable because they're so slow even when working correctly (a few Mbyte/s tops during writes isn't all that uncommon)

Well, mostly I've bought SanDisk Ultra USB3 sticks. I dug up a Samsung 3.0 stick that's about 4 years old, and I got ~1000 kB/sec. Switching amongst the 3 usb ports, the number went up to about 1200 kB/s.

It certainly does indicate the stick itself plays a role. But 1200 kB/s is still centered in the USB2.0 range. Is it possible to achieve more? I'm on 12.1

dmesg shows this:
uhub0: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0
uhub0: 18 ports with 18 removable, self powered

Are you perhaps not using bs=1M or so when writing these images?
You nailed it. I was not specifying block size. Bad habit from Linux maybe, where I generally get away without specifying it.

Anyway, thank you. Quick test shows I'm getting 35MB/s. Solved!

Back