Slim + OpenBox

Hi All,

I've installed FreeBSD 10.3 and now I want to configure Slim + OpenBox, both are installed and I've created my xinitrc file with "exec openbox-session".

Anyway, after I login with Slim openbox never starts I only see a back screen... but if instead of login with slim I start freebsd with console and I run startx, openbox start with out problem.

Any ideas or suggestion about it?

one more thing in the slim.log file, I see
Code:
slim: open_session: Unable to open session: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

what return: (from root / su )
Code:
service dbus status
ls -l /var/run/dbus

I don't use a Display Manager but if I remember right you use /usr/local/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop for the startup command and . xinitrc just gets exec 1$ as Slim passes the argument which desktop to start.

This is not related to your dbus problem. Are you sure /etc/rc.conf reads dbus_enable and not dbus_enabled

I think session management requires consolekit via ck-launch-session. If I recall there is a slim configuration file in /usr/local/etc where you can specify the window manager. See this example in the Arch Linux Slim wiki.

This site has setup directions too:
https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/
Just substitute openbox for their wmaker example.

ee .xinitrc
exec $1

echo slim_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
echo sessiondir /usr/local/share/xsessions/ >> /usr/local/etc/slim.conf

ee /usr/local/share/xsession/openbox.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Openbox
Exec=/usr/local/bin/openbox
Comment=This session logs you into Openbox
Type=Application

I don't use a Display Manager but if I remember right you use /usr/local/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop for the startup command and . xinitrc just gets exec 1$ as Slim passes the argument which desktop to start.

This is not related to your dbus problem. Are you sure /etc/rc.conf reads dbus_enable and not dbus_enabled

Phishfy.... you are a genius... or you are looking my machine I had "dbus_enabled" instead of "dbus_enable"....

Thanks!!!!
(It's closed)

Back