Solved SLiM: i3 failure

I'm running in VirtualBox and have got SLiM working and logging me into a MATE session. I have now installed i3 for testing but can't log into an i3 session. I can select i3 from the SLiM window but it puts me into a MATE session.

My .xinitrc looks like this (both root and user):
Code:
exec mate-session
exec i3
I can't give the contents of /usr/local/share/xsessions because it's started outputting nonsense! (see attached!)

You need to change your .xinitrc like follow:
Code:
exec $1
slim will pass the "session" selected with F1 that fill feed "$1"

You need to change your .xinitrc like follow:
Code:
exec $1
slim will pass the "session" selected with F1 that fill feed "$1"
Great, thanks! It works now (but i3 hangs writing the config file). I'll look into that tomorrow.

Better use it something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Used for SLiM

DEFAULT=/usr/local/bin/awesome

[ -n "$1" ] && exec $1

exec ${DEFAULT}
It includes a test to see if an argument was given or not. SLiM passes an argument but a startx on the command line doesn't. This caters for both possibilities :D

It includes a test to see if an argument was given or not. SLiM passes an argument but a startx on the command line doesn't. This caters for both possibilities :D
Indeed, in addition it also work when using slim autologin feature, that doesn't pass an argument too.

Better use it something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Used for SLiM

DEFAULT=/usr/local/bin/awesome

[ -n "$1" ] && exec $1

exec ${DEFAULT}

Unfortunately this doesn't fix it. It doesn't ask about log files anymore but it does just hang and go nowhere.

However, I just had a *facepalm*. I reverted back to just
Code:
exec $1
and realised it was working. I was just being stupid :)

Back