Sleep and wake-up voodoo

First, congratulations to the devs and others who are making progress on the Sleep (and wake up) functions.
(I know many here don't care about such things, but for my work / usage profile, it's quite important. I will say no more.)
My minor issue is that sometimes I can wake the screen up, and other times not.
The system is FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC amd64, and KDE Plasma Version 5.24.7 and Nvidia.
Waking the screen up usually means pressing Ctl_Alt F1, F2, F3 etc until a screen shows some activity (any activity), then hitting Ctl_Alt F9 and that reveals the login screen.
Trouble is, this only works about a third of the time - and I can't figure out what affects it.
I haven't installed the drm-kmod packages, because they don't seem to involve Nvidia, but that may be a mistake on my part.
Any advice / suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

First, congratulations to the devs and others who are making progress on the Sleep (and wake up) functions.
(I know many here don't care about such things, but for my work / usage profile, it's quite important. I will say no more.)

Don't worry, reliable sleep/wake is very important to many here; even big-iron server jockeys run laptops.

My minor issue is that sometimes I can wake the screen up, and other times not.
The system is FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC amd64, and KDE Plasma Version 5.24.7 and Nvidia.

Among other things there, see the checklist of info to supply.
Every laptop brand/model and chipset has its own quirks, and people who know them.

Also, using Xorg or Wayland?

Waking the screen up usually means pressing Ctl_Alt F1, F2, F3 etc until a screen shows some activity (any activity), then hitting Ctl_Alt F9 and that reveals the login screen.
Trouble is, this only works about a third of the time - and I can't figure out what affects it.

How do you make it sleep in the first place, and how wake it up?

What about suspend/resume before or without starting X?

Because by default you have 8 text consoles, and then the graphic one (9 in total). You can see this in /etc/ttys. If switching from GUI to console and then back wakes up the screen, you don't need to go through all of them; a switch to ttyv1 and ttyv9 will suffice (but don't entirely solves the problem, just make it less tedious).

Don't worry, reliable sleep/wake is very important to many here; even big-iron server jockeys run laptops.

Among other things there, see the checklist of info to supply.
Every laptop brand/model and chipset has its own quirks, and people who know them.

Also, using Xorg or Wayland?

How do you make it sleep in the first place, and how wake it up?

What about suspend/resume before or without starting X?
Thanks, a couple of answers:
using standard KDE5, Wayland doesn't work (but is the default on some screens!)
Your comment made me look further, and I think that initiating "Sleep" from the KDE menus seems to be more problematic than opening a terminal in KDE and issuing the command "acpiconf -s 3"
Seems to work every time so far - but still have to pound the keyboard a few time with Ctl-Alt-F1 followed by Ctl-Alt-F9.
Will post back later with more.

Back