SiS onboard video & Compiz-fusion

I just upgraded my server to a new board because I was able to pick up an AMD dual core 2.4Ghz chip for $20. It also allowed an upgrade to DDR2 ram which I only have 1GB of now instead of the 2GB of DDR I had in it had before. The board is a PC Chips; with onboard video & a pci-e slot. I plan on tossing my 4850 HD into it when I finally get around to ordering a 5850/5870 for my gaming pc.

The Onboard video is an SiS chipset/gpu (I guess thats what you would call it) and in my /root/xorg.conf I have all the proper stuff placed for compiz-fusion to work; I have kde 3.5 installed (using it to type this thread). I even have the driver set from vesa to sis. But when I run the compiz-fusion command all I get is a pure white screen and a hard freeze... well semi-hard the pc stops responding completely but my mouse continues to work. When I used varied commands.

So does anyone know the commands to launch compiz-fusion properly with this gpu? I know I had to do some finagling to get it working before on my onboard Intel so Im figuring its a command issue getting it working with this card.

Any help would be appreciated. I can also post any information needed. I have been using these 2 pages as my install references.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html
http://wiki.compiz.org/Intel with AiGLX

And my errors are very similar to my errors on my Intel when I run just the basic command; I loose my boarders and dont' get emerald:
Code:
#! /bin/sh
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &
error:
Code:
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0

I'm fairly certain compiz will never work with that GPU. It requires 2D drivers that support COMPOSITE, and 3D drivers that support GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap (and a handful of other extensions). The only GPUs that compiz is reported to work on are from nvidia, ati, intel, and via (though the via cards require binary drivers for linux from via, so even that wouldn't work on FreeBSD).

EDIT:

You would, at the very least, need to set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to true before starting compiz but I'm still quite sure it will error out.

Adam

Why would you want to install all that fluff on a server?!?! Heck, I wouldn't even install X.

adamk said:
I'm fairly certain compiz will never work with that GPU. It requires 2D drivers that support COMPOSITE, and 3D drivers that support GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap (and a handful of other extensions). The only GPUs that compiz is reported to work on are from nvidia, ati, intel, and via (though the via cards require binary drivers for linux from via, so even that wouldn't work on FreeBSD).

EDIT:

You would, at the very least, need to set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to true before starting compiz but I'm still quite sure it will error out.

Adam

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give that indirect command a try. If it doesn't work we'll I guess I'll have to wait until I toss my 4850 HD in it.

SirDice said:
Why would you want to install all that fluff on a server?!?! Heck, I wouldn't even install X.

Well because its just a personal webserver/mail server it doesn't get much traffic.. and I enjoy using it as a second desktop from time to time, experimenting, having fun.

The system has an 80GB hdd so I'm also not worried about hdd space for my needs.. and when Im not using it as a desktop I do just leave it in the standard no GUI interface (no X/KDE running).

EDIT: well I decided to try installing KDE 4 and it runs beautifully, I just need to remember how to get kde3 apps to run in kde4 :/

EDIT: Correction :/ only my terminal/konsole won't open, shows it for a second then it disappears? Any Ideas?

EDIT: Correction :/ only my terminal/konsole won't open, shows it for a second then it disappears? Any Ideas?
run your konsole from xterm & post the output.
EDIT: well I decided to try installing KDE 4 and it runs beautifully, I just need to remember how to get kde3 apps to run in kde4 :/
probably the very same way as you've done it in kde3
kde3 binaries are located in /usr/local/bin usually, while kde4 is in /usr/local/kde4/bin if that helps

nekoexmachina said:
run your konsole from xterm & post the output.

probably the very same way as you've done it in kde3
kde3 binaries are located in /usr/local/bin usually, while kde4 is in /usr/local/kde4/bin if that helps

Thanks for the reply. Acutally it wasn't a problem at all. All my apps run fine. except konsole. I guess its a glitch or something wrong with the 'sh' shell. I found a few ppl having the same issue. The fix was to open the konsole and change the shell type. So:
Code:
run: konsole -e csh

went to option changed the default profile to csh instead of sh and its working fine now. Thanks though.

P.S. INDIRECT didn't work :/ meh, ohwell..

Back