Simple question on laundry memory

It's used memory, soon to be available memory (inactive) or could even be re-determined to be unavailable (active). Either way, it's unavailable at that instance.
  1. What should I do to monitor laundry memory in Zabbix?
  2. What can cause memory to get stuck in laundry?
Sometimes I see laundry slowly growing, until all memory is used up.

That might be an indicator for a memory leak. You probably want to monitor memory use overall, not laundry specifically. Generally speaking, a growing laundry list may point at pages that never properly get around to being swapped out.
There's a pretty good write up on swapping and laundry on the forum:

Addendum: you probably could also be running without any swap at all. I suppose that could also lead to pages never getting paged and instead staying on the laundry list, if I'm not mistaken.

That might be an indicator for a memory leak. You probably want to monitor memory use overall, not laundry specifically. Generally speaking, a growing laundry list may point at pages that never properly get around to being swapped out.
There's a pretty good write up on swapping and laundry on the forum:

Addendum: you probably could also be running without any swap at all. I suppose that could also lead to pages never getting paged and instead staying on the laundry list, if I'm not mistaken.
I do run swap. Okay, I'll read that thread

1. What should I do to monitor laundry memory in Zabbix?
  2. What can cause memory to get stuck in laundry?
Sometimes I see laundry slowly growing, until all memory is used up.
1. Ask Zabbix? I have no idea about zabbix.
2. It will be stuck if it's not needed. If it's needed & not being released by the kernel, then it's a bug in either the thread or the queue or both.
They go fromlaundry to inactive or if in laundry and get accessed they go to the end of the queue.

I guess in an ideal world laundry should quickly move pages out to inactive but it doesn't because other things can happen to affect that.

Back