Solved Simple mono laser printer

Can anyone suggest a currently available mono laser printer which works with FreeBSD? Nothing fancy, just a basic model. Thanks in advance.

The Brothers 2170W works almost out of the box. I had to install cups, print/foomatic-filters, print/foomatic-db and print/foomatic-db-engine. I think the last one actually supplied the driver. I also installed cups itself.

Then, when I opened the web interface, it had already seen the networked printer. The only other issue I had was that if I checked off, in the first dialog window, the already seen printer, it gave it an lpd connection (which I don't remember) and it wasn't working till I changed it to the simple
Code:
socket://192.168.1.51
type of connection. That is, in one of the first dialog windows, instead of checking the radio box for the printer, I checked the box that said AppSocket/HP JetDirect. I then chose, out of several available drivers, the one marked hpijs-cl5e, and it worked without problems one on install. However, on a second install, I kept getting filter failed, it wouldn't print, and I never tracked it down.

Lastly after some upgrades, it stopped working to the point where I said, The heck with it, and now if I have to use it, print from Linux. (This is the sort of thing that _does_ make me wish FreeBSD would become more popular,.)

(I realize this is an old post by now, but figured the updates might be useful for someone in the future, including myself if I forget what I did).

I will end this addition to an old post by saying that eventually, I got it working by following wblock@'s instructions at http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html for printing using lpd instead of cups. However as the printer can handle postscript, I used the Handbook's script, using enscript. wblock@'s page has a script for printers that can't handle postscript. The Handbook's page is at https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/printing-lpd.html

Last edited:
I would suggest a printer which speaks full PostScript as print/foomatic-filters is broken by upstream and doesn't support native LPD spooling daemon properly. That basically mean that you will have to write input filter your self in order to print without hassle even on the printer speaking Printing Command Language PCL6 and having open source driver contained in GhostScript, Gutenprint or HPLIP. If you want to go for Brother I am taking something like this Brother HL-5470DW. The rule of a thumb will be that you need a group work printer which new costs $300 or more in U.S.

Back