Solved Simple IMAP/POP3 server

So, to conclude, I am afraid that the project is way above my abilities. As such, my only recourse is to keep the Windows 7 hardwae running as long s possible and the lose the access to the e-mail. C'est la vie.
I'm repeating myself, by here we go: use hMailServer. This is a free POP3/IMAP4/SMTP server under WINDOWS. You can use this to migrate all mails from Eudora to it, and later to pull them off whereever you want to in the format you want to.

And configuration is done via a GUI. So this give you something to work with.

Greetings all,

after giving up, I fixed the log in error. Now. I have another problem, when testing for inbox existence: a select inbox, I receive back:
Code:
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)] Flags permitted.
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1106186941] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 2] Predicted next UID
a OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed (0.001 + 0.000 + 0.001 secs).

I expected to see:
Code:
* 1 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT

Kindest regards,

M

I can't remember if it creates the folders only when needed. Maybe send yourself a test email in Eudora and then drag it to the IMAP server to see if it does what you expect.

Hi hardworkingnewbie,

thank you for the reminder. I have been actually workin on both the dovecot and the hMailServer in parallel. I do have the hMailServer working on the same Windows 7 computer on which the Eudora executes to the point that I seem to be able to transfer the e-mails from the local folders to the e-mail I had created. Unfortunately, I have difficulty to connect to it from the FreeBSD box. Do you have any experience with it and would you be willing to help over p.m.?

Hi ccammack,

from what I gathered from the documentation, the inbox should be created initially, hence my question. But, I will try your suggestion.

Kindest regards,

M

Greetings all,

continuing with my monologue. I have now successfully transferred a message from my local folders to the inbox at the dovecot server, that is response to a select inbox is
Code:
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)] Flags permitted.
* 1 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1106186941] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 2] Predicted next UID
a OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed (0.001 + 0.000 + 0.001 secs).
I still do not quite understand it, as I would have expected also the RECENT field to change.

Furthermore, response to a FETCH 1 BODY[TEXT], show the message. So far so good, however, neither new or tmp shows the message.

Perhaps because I "read" it via the a FETCH 1 BODY[TEXT], it was moved to cur?

More reading.

Kindest regards,

M

Greetings all,

this might be the last post in the saga. After correcting the (self-induced) errors by following ccammack's directions and another (self-induced) login problem, it turned out that the rest was a problem with Eudora's settings.

When a command to create a new account is invoked, Eudora asks for name, e-mail address, and password, and based on that attempts to discover and/or create settings for the incoming and outgoing servers. If it cannot discover anything, it then creates settings for POP3 servers. A subsequent re-setting of the port number from 110 to 143 does change the port number but not the POP3 protocol.

The cure is to interrupt the automatic discovery/setting creation and do so manually. Once I have discovered the problem, I have started to drag the folders/sub-folders form the local folders to the dovecot server, checking with doveadm mailbox list that the folders/sub-folders were created.

That brings me to the last question:

How do I check, that all the files within the folders were created, and all the attachments were properly re-associated? If anybody have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thank once again to all who were trying to help, especially with the specific problems.

Kindest regards,

M

How do I check, that all the files within the folders were created, and all the attachments were properly re-associated? If anybody have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.
I don't think there's any way besides visual inspection. A real bummer for a large mail store.

Thank once again to all who were trying to help, especially with the specific problems.
Glad it finally worked out for you.

Hi Jose,

yep, real bummer. I have two ideas, one, write a script that will count the number of files in the folders/sub-folders, and compare them, two, move all the folders/sub-folders to a different machine, repeat move of the local folders to the dovecot server and run net/rsync.

Kindest regards,

M

Back