Solved Simple config for new cable modem not working

I have an 8.2-R box as a router (yes, old, very overdue for updating, but it is what I've got now). It's been fine with a DSL modem, now I'm trying to switch over to a cable modem and having trouble. Somehow I can't get even the most basic configuration to work.

I plugged the modem into a win10 box where it initialized and works fine, and I wrote down that config for reference. Then I plugged the modem into the router's em1 interface, ran dhclient on that interface, and got "No DHCPOFFERS received". Hmm. Next, I statically configured em1 using the info I wrote down, pinged the gateway, and got "sendto: Host is down". I run ipfw so I turned that off completely, same result.

Router is set up with em0 as the inside IF on 192.168.0.1/24, the DSL modem at 192.168.0.254, the rest of the clients between 10 and 63. It's odd and I don't remember why I did this, but to the router, 0.254 is the default route, and to the clients, 0.1 is the default route, so that ipfw is in the loop. The router has packet forwarding on, but no NAT at this time - the DSL modem does its own, and I'm not turning it on for cable until I get it working at all. I double checked that the hardware is good, em1 is an Intel 82541, I also have a Broadcom 5761 on standby. Cable provider is Comcast, modem is a Netgear CM600.

I'm a bit flustered to be stalled here at step 1. This is basic stuff that I've done many times with nary a hiccup. I'm not even seeing any error logs to investigate. I must be missing something obvious, I just need another set of eyes to help me see it. Please let me know what else I can add to help.

mcgee said:
(yes, old, very overdue for updating, but it is what I've got now)
Like I tell my kids, nothing you can say will make this better so you might as well just stop.

:D

If you are only using the box as a router then put a spare hard drive in it and install pfsense:

I bet it will work for you out of the box.

Turns out it was Comcast's fault. Or the CM600. But probably Comcast. Best I can tell, the modem would issue a DHCP lease to one and ONLY one MAC, until it had been power cycled, whereupon it would once again hand out a lease. I've never seen a DHCP server do that. Maybe some kind of band-aid measure in case some doofus plugs the modem into a switchport instead of a router. So, mystery solved, I just needed to write it out and think on it for a while.

Or, who knows, maybe updating to 12.0-R or switching to pfsense would have solved it. We may never know.

Back