Solved shutdown -h

Hi,

I am using Thinkpad t440p laptop. After I type shutdown -h now, I get this message on the screen
"...The operating system is halted...press any key to reboot."
Is it safe to press the power button to turn off the laptop when the system is "halted" (the screen is still ON)?

If the screen is displaying text, doesn't that mean the OS is technically still running? It seems a bit wierd this way to power off...i.e. to turn off the power-button when the OS is still running.

There is also poweroff which works for both Linux and FreeBSD, though not OpenBSD, which needs the shutdown -p now. The poweroff command doesn't require a time argument, so you don't need to do poweroff now just plain poweroff

I do remember SirDice mentioning that reboot had some bad effects but I haven't heard that about the poweroff command. That being said, (or typed, to be literal to the point of being obnoxious), I don't know. I've used it for years without problem but that might just mean I was lucky.

I do remember SirDice mentioning that reboot had some bad effects but I haven't heard that about the poweroff command. That being said, (or typed, to be literal to the point of being obnoxious), I don't know. I've used it for years without problem but that might just mean I was lucky.
Ah, now that you mention it, I also think it was SirDice who told me. Perhaps I was mixing up reboot and poweroff.

From the reboot manpage:
Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be
halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom
and cleanly terminating specific programs.
So yes, it looks like *this* is the one that should be avoided. poweroff looks fine. Ignore my noise! ;)

Back