Shortcut to updating the entire ports tree prior to "pkg_version"

Suppose there is not enough space in /usr to update the ports tree.
( I imagine other reasons exist for the use of the code below)
Code:
# run from the [FILE]/usr/ports[/FILE] where there exists a [FILE]supfile.file[/FILE]
for f in $(pkg_info -o /var/db/pkg/* | grep "/" ); do (csup -g -L 2 -i ports/"$f" supfile.file ); done

As a bonus, it will probably run alphabetically so one can see its progress (though take
a looong time...) I would caution against using this one-liner where there are very many
ports installed.

Just came across this command mentioned today... no time to test it in the above scenario, but it is a lot quicker than the usual legacy updating methods
Code:
 #... pkg_version that is # 
portmaster -L --index-only | egrep '(ew|ort) version|total install'
Works if one is online at least... using a temporary /tmp folder, though one would csup or something to have portmaster correctly act upon the output.
The
Code:
 portmaster -L --index-only | tee -a /tmp/newersions.txt
works fine. So the first post is sort of obsolete.
Then one can one-by-one add the packages remotely or from a thumbdrive...

First Post In Thread Obsolete

The first post in this thread mentions csup, now obsolete.

This next trick pertains slightly to keeping ports upgraded, say if you use svn (subversion).

a...
Code:
###### run from where your local [FILE].tbz[/FILE] are stored
# packages#    ls -lac  /mnt/portmaster-download  | tail -3   
###### assumes the thumbdrive has your packages to backup from here to the thumbdrive
###### One now has the latest packages on the thumbdrive.  One wants newer packages to it.
# packages#    find . -newer /mnt/portmaster-download/[color="green"]scite-3.2.4.tbz[/color]
               -print | rsync --progress --size-only --files-from - . /mnt/portmaster-download
Please note the dash, dot, target directory construct ending that command.
I was using a variant of this (gcp; sleep; ) in a one-liner loop but a forum search failed to find it, so am posting this other method here.
REASON: I had long wondered the rsync "just-copy-newer" simplest method, having used a more complex one in backups, but that more complex one deletes also. This does not, as I've posted it;
... and I happened to run across it in a thread on a discussion list elsewhere on the web earlier today.

Back