(shell) How to lock the user in his directory?

I searched the forum but did not get a hit so I'm trying here.

I have added a user on my server to learn how stuff works, It seems that the user can go out from his directory and browse the files on the system such as /home . How do I lock the user to only be in his directory when I created his account.

thanks.

okey thanks anyway. I only want to lock them into their home dir and make them not available to browse the system files.

You need to change the permissions of the directories you don't want the user to go. If you have /some/path/to/exclude you can set its permissions with

# chmod 0700 /some/path/to/exclude. You can also get more control by using groups. For more details see chmod() and the users section of the handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/.

One other point.. Assuming you have home directories under /home you can't prevent the user from entering /home, because he wouldn't be able to enter his own home directory, but you can prevent the new user from entering other users' directories with appropriate permissions.

enCyde said:
How do I lock the user to only be in his directory when I created his account.
FreeBSD has a powerful mechanism for that: jails. This section of the handbook should get you started but feel free to ask followup questions if you get stuck.

Fonz

It's called chroot
You can setup the SSH service to jail the user inside his home folder.

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Code:
130 Match user olav
131    ChrootDirectory %h

The chrooted folder needs to be owned by root, so you need to create an additional folder for the user.
For example /home/olav/olav
home is owned by root, olav owned by root and is the chrooted folder, finally the last olav folder is owned by the olav user.

olav said:
It's called chroot
You can setup the SSH service to jail the user inside his home folder.

This is extremely limiting for a general user (or cumbersome to set up).

You need to create devices and copy any necessary apps and libraries into the chrooted environment.

Back