Shared configuration files: login.conf, auth.conf....

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy a web server architecture and I would like to share some system configuration files (for easily maintenance), like: login.conf, auth.conf, sysctl.conf, ttys.

My machine has 2 harddisks. One with base system, and other with above files. In my /etc I link the files to the shared folder, in second disk, like this:
Code:
/etc/login.conf -> /mnt/shared/system/etc/login.conf
/etc/auth.conf -> /mnt/shared/system/etc/auth.conf
The problem: When I start the machine, this error is displayed and I can't login:
Code:
"....
_secure_path: /etc/login.conf is not regular file
_secure_path: /etc/auth.conf is not regular file
 ..."
Any ideas?

Thanks!

It looks like the system is making sure the configuration files are secure. Looking at the source for _secure_path it wants them to be normal files, owned by a specified user & group, and only writable by the owner.

Please also be advised that FreeBSD expects /etc to be part of the / filesystem and accessible early during boot. Many files are accessed in there before any of the other local filesystems are mounted. We had another user on here a while back who was also getting into a load of trouble because he was trying to make /etc a separate mount.

I would suggest you find a different way of maintaining the configuration files. Maybe have a folder tree on one of the servers (or a separate 'configuration' server) that matches the layout of /etc, containing just the files you want shared. You can then use something like net/rsync to 'pull' the config files into /etc on the live servers. Obviously security of the master files would need to be handled carefully if you share anything that affects logins/access.

There are also tools in ports to simplify management of many servers but I've never used any of these myself.

The way we do it is we have everything stored in a central CVS server. That allows us to keep track of changes (and back out easily in case of problems). A script on each machine checks out the production tagged files and copies them to the correct place. It takes a bit of fiddling but it works quite well.

It is not an option for /etc, since it has to be mounted with /, but in similar situation a nullfs mount would do the trick.
However, for configuration files we too use a set of scripts that auto-upload and track versions from a centralized repository.

Back