TWM sh After Kill Window Manager Process

I like to use twm and the plain sh. Recently I experimented with using xfce4 and xdm. I would like to configure my computer to return to an sh after exiting the window manager.

Instead, after a graphical shutdown in xfce4 or an exit from twm, it seems as though the window manager process dies, but the computer remains on. The result I would like to achieve is to keep the display on enough to use sh to without the fancy graphics.

What do I need to research to adjust or configure the way window managers behave when they shut down? It seems to me that the process is getting a kill. I think I need to somehow follow that with an sh.

How is that done?

Don't use XDM, GDM or similar. Simply login and use startx. Then, if you exit the windows manager, you'll be dropped back into the shell.

I will try deinstalling that XDM. I would like to do what you're saying, but that is not what's happenning. Trying to use just startx by itself after trying those others was what spurred the question.

But startx should do what you want. If you get a black screen after exiting X make sure you have
Code:
kern.vty="vt"
in /boot/loader.conf. This enables the new console vt(4). The old console syscons(4) does not work well with KMS.

Back