Solved settings, tweaks, cheese won't open from the activities menu

when clicking on a few aps from the activities menu; I get a spinning cursor for a few minutes then nothing happens.

Running gnome-tweaks from the terminal, however, does give me this.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gtweak/app.py", line 51, in do_activate
self.win = Window(self, model)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 58, in __init__
self._model.load_tweaks(self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gtweak/tweakmodel.py", line 107, in load_tweaks
mods = __import__("gtweak.tweaks", globals(), locals(), tweak_files, 0)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_group_font.py", line 113, in <module>
FontXSettingsTweak(),
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_group_font.py", line 41, in __init__
self.btn_full.set_active(self.settings["font-hinting"] == "full")
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gio.py", line 260, in __getitem__
raise KeyError('unknown key: %r' % (key,))
KeyError: "unknown key: 'font-hinting'"

Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

Looks like the 'font-antialiasing', 'font-hinting', and 'font-rgba-order' keys were added to the 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' schema a few months after version 3.38.0 was released, which is the version currently available in ports.

I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but you can try adding the necessary lines just before the </schema> line at the end of /usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.interface.gschema.xml from the version 40.0 branch, which I have highlighted here (reproduced below for posterity)
Code:
    <key name="font-antialiasing" enum="org.gnome.desktop.GDesktopFontAntialiasingMode">
      <default>'grayscale'</default>
      <summary>Antialiasing</summary>
      <description>
        The type of antialiasing to use when rendering fonts. Possible values are: “none” for no antialiasing, “grayscale” for standard grayscale antialiasing, and “rgba” for subpixel antialiasing (LCD screens only).
      </description>
    </key>
    <key name="font-hinting" enum="org.gnome.desktop.GDesktopFontHinting">
      <default>'slight'</default>
      <summary>Hinting</summary>
      <description>
	The type of hinting to use when rendering fonts. Possible values are: “none” for no hinting and “slight” for fitting only to the Y-axis like Microsoft’s ClearType, DirectWrite and Adobe’s proprietary font rendering engine. Ignores native hinting within the font, generates hints algorithmically. Used on Ubuntu by default. Recommended. The meaning of “medium” and “full” depends on the font format (.ttf, .otf, .pfa/.pfb) and the installed version of FreeType. They usually try to fit glyphs to both the X and the Y axis (except for .otf: Y-only). This can lead to distortion and/or inconsistent rendering depending on the quality of the font, the font format and the state of FreeType’s font engines.
      </description>
    </key>
    <key name="font-rgba-order" enum="org.gnome.desktop.GDesktopFontRgbaOrder">
      <default>'rgb'</default>
      <summary>RGBA order</summary>
      <description>
	The order of subpixel elements on an LCD screen; only used when antialiasing is set to “rgba”. Possible values are: “rgb” for red on left (most common), “bgr” for blue on left, “vrgb” for red on top, “vbgr” for red on bottom.
      </description>
    </key>

I scratched the whole damn exercise, and went back to KDE. GNOME was another very broken experience overall i’m afraid, again.

FreeBSD and KDE work together like peanut butter and jelly.

Back