Setting up HP IP printer (wifi)

Hi all,

I am a rank amateur when it comes to admining FreeBSD, but I am trying to set up printing from a laptop to a wireless printer on the same network. Here is what I tried and how it failed, and I would love some advice:

First I ran hp-probe with these results:

Code:
  Device URI                                      Model                    Name    
  ----------------------------------------------  -----------------------  --------
  hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A910?ip=192.168.1.5  Officejet_Pro_8500_A910  HP2E806B

Then I pinged the printer just to make sure and, indeed, it is pingable.

But with hp-setup 192.168.1.5 I get this:

Code:
Searching for device...
error:  Device not found.   Please make sure your printer is properly connected and powered-on.
error:  Invalid manual discovery parameter.
I am not really even sure how to proceed. I know CUPS is installed, but I haven't configured it at all (nor do I know how).

Thanks for any help possible ;)

When I run hp-setup alone, the options for Network/Ethernet are greyed out. I run it as a regular user, because otherwise it can't access the X11 for the GUI.

I tried running hp-setup 192.168.1.5 and I get
Code:
device not found
If I run as root, I have to use the "-i" flag because I don't have a GUI, and I get
Code:
using connection type USB, invalid device URI
with hp-setup -i 192.168.1.5

Don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I can provide more info if necessary.

If you want to run it as root, you can try # DISPLAY=:0.0 hp-setup
(or whatever your DISPLAY value is).
Oh, and one more thing: can you ping your printer from the workstation?

Hi,

Just got around doing this as well; and had similar problems. Apparantly hplip does not have 'net' enabled by default, had to recompile via ports enabling SNMP. This made hp-probe find the printer. And plain hp-setup also found and installed the printer.

But I have a problem with CUPS, it does not accept my root/pw as login, so can't manage my printer that way?

I'm on 9.0, on 8.x I had all this working ok, though not perfect.

To have WIFI working with print/hplip, you must recompile from ports, making sure to select snmp option.

You must edit /etc/rc.conf and add
Code:
cupsd_enable="YES"
Then start the cupsd service. Once that is done, you can run hp-setup as a normal user, and it will prompt you for a username and password which I use root's credentials for. Your user must also be part of the wheel group, otherwise you are not able to elevate your privileges, I believe.

Back