Set up a Reverse Proxy for Jabber (XMPP)

I have a FreeBSD server as an OpenVPN client to a remote private network using the security/openvpn port. I have also installed net/dante a SOCKS proxy server.

Both of these components are working properly. For example, I can load up the Pidgin IM client on my desktop machine and have it connect to the Jabber/XMPP server on the remote private network using SOCKS5 proxy.

My problem is that not all Jabber/XMPP clients have built in SOCKS5 proxy support. :\

I would like to setup a reverse XMPP proxy on my FreeBSD server similar to the way Squid or Apache mod_proxy works. This way I can use any XMPP client that does not have a SOCKS5 option.

Is this something that is done with Dante? Or do I need another port installed that provides this function? If it can be done with Dante, what would the setup be?

My problem is that not all Jabber/XMPP clients have built in SOCKS5 proxy support. :\

You can use net/tsocks to "socksify" any application you want

Is this something that is done with Dante? Or do I need another port installed that provides this function? If it can be done with Dante, what would the setup be?

I don't know about Dante, but you can use net/haproxy in tcp mode has a general purpose reverse proxy.

Example using haproxy + ejabbered

I hope this is helpful

Back