Other Serial interface password

So I need to secure the equipment we are using. I have read the manuals and can't seem to find that answers that I need. I first need to be able to shut down the NIC on the box. I would need to be able to turn this back on using the serial interface. (USB to Serial from another server) Because of this I need to be able to password protect the serial interface...ttys0. I have tried changing the rc.conf.local from firewall_type 'open' to 'closed' and that didn't not give me the desired affect of shutting down all IP traffic on the NIC. Now before anyone says why do you need to do that I work in the government IP space and they say I have to... I have not other reason.
Any help would be appreciated. I am pretty new to Linux ( I was a network engineer before I got thrown this project)

Thank you Phishfry.... I will give it a try. I think I am going to run into the issue that it isn't a standard install .

I have tried changing the rc.conf.local from firewall_type 'open' to 'closed' and that didn't not give me the desired affect of shutting down all IP traffic on the NIC.
ifconfig <interface> down
This is pretty hardcore so definitely make sure you have another way to access the machine or you're going to lock yourself out.
Now before anyone says why do you need to do that I work in the government IP space and they say I have to... I have not other reason.
Assuming this is proper enterprise-grade server equipment, doesn't the server have IPMI? Dell calls it "DRAC", HP "iLO", various names exist but they basically all do the same thing; It allows you to remote control the machine. You can even turn it off and on remotely.

I am pretty new to Linux
FreeBSD lesson 1: FreeBSD is not (a) Linux. Please don't confuse the two.

Back