Sendmail server specified

Hello, with my weird hostname machine317.proto which isn't a TLD how do I make an MX record, or do I have to change the hostname to a TLD? Also, when I try to fetch mail I get the message no servers have been specified but I have made an entry in the DNS configuration like displayed in the docs and have checked .fetchmailrc and with fetchmailconf and everything is right. I think i need to make an entry for the hostname in the /etc/mail/access file but dont know what to enter. I can't get that pop3 or imap in my mailbox. Also i cannot telnet my own hostname for some reason when I set up OpenSSL for sendmail.

:

my weird hostname machine317.proto
Hostnames are normally host.domain.tld. So machine317.mydomain.proto is fine. It doesn't matter what the domain is if you only have this working locally and have set up a local DNS that can resolve everything properly. You obviously can't use this if you expect to receive mail from the internet, that requires a properly registered domain.

how do I make an MX record
MX records are created in DNS, not on the host itself.

I can't get that pop3 or imap in my mailbox.
MX records are for sending mail only, so the sending mailservers know where to find the mail server for that domain.

Depends on your point of view of course. If I can't find an MX record for your domain I can't send you mail either. But yes, the MX record is set to a mail server that receives mail for that domain.

Hostnames are normally host.domain.tld. So machine317.mydomain.proto is fine. It doesn't matter what the domain is if you only have this working locally and have set up a local DNS that can resolve everything properly. You obviously can't use this if you expect to receive mail from the internet, that requires a properly registered domain.

MX records are created in DNS, not on the host itself.

MX records are for sending mail only, so the sending mailservers know where to find the mail server for that domain.
Does the .mydomain have to be in there.

Depends on your point of view of course. If I can't find an MX record for your domain I can't send you mail either. But yes, the MX record is set to a mail server that receives mail for that domain.
Is this how my MX record should look?

machine317.proto A XXX.XXX.XX.XX MX 10 nevdull.FreeBSD.org

;Workstation
;Mailhost
?

Back