sendmail from ports - where to configure?

Before I start to configure my files for sendmail I get a simple question.
I has not installed (compiled) sendmail with FreeBSD. I installed sendmail form the ports. So normally all own software installed from the ports goes to /usr/local/....
So there is the place /usr/local/etc/mail. But I could also use /etc/mail/ like sendmail from the OS use it.
What is the right way?
Thank you for Your advice.

I would recommend to leave it in /usr/local, so that there is no risk that some upgrade scripts for the OS might be disturbed or even might remove things. Better safe than sorry.

The port allows you to enable/disable a bunch of options.

The port allows you to enable/disable a bunch of options.

Indeed, but /etc/make.conf allows tweaking such options. For example, in mine I have:

Code:
# Sendmail config
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS= -UNETINET6     # no ISP IPv6 rDNS, so ditch IPv6 for sendmail

Of course, you do need to be building your own world (or at least sendmail) from base source.

Well obviously the tweaks being talked about were to the compilation of sendmail options (like IPv6) which can be tweaked either by using make config for the sendmail port or SENDMAIL_CFLAGS= -UNETINET6 in the /etc/make.conf for the base sendmail. I'm not sure what your point is?

The sendmail port pkg-message seems to be lacking in the setting required for using an alternative sendmail, not the one in base.
You may also need to update /etc/rc.conf.
I know when I used hostapd from ports I had to add a setting to /etc/rc.conf to tell it about the different version than in base.
Guessing sendmail would need that too.

This is above and beyond any make stuff.

Well I was wrong. No special redirect for /etc/rc.conf.

Gotcha. However, there was no way to disable IPv6 without using compilation flags (which is why I assume the port make config has that as an option).

Back