SD card support

Yesterday I bought a Petnax k200d photocamera, and now I want to get my photos. The pentax, of course, has no driver for FreeBSD, and I have no driver for SDHC card, while I have a reader in my ACER Aspire 9410Z notebook.

How can I read data from the SD-card?

Doesn't the umass(4) driver work with the photocamera?

I have no driver for SDHC card

The OS (i.e. FreeBSD) doesn't need a driver, the cardreader needs to support HC cards.
You can check the Acer site for a BIOS update, this might update the firmware so it will supportHC cards.

Otherwise getting an external USB card reader might be an option, they go for ~10 Euro.

Carpetsmoker said:
Doesn't the umass(4) driver work with the photocamera?
It can see the camera attaching and detachind, but the camera has unusual interface - the umass just told me, that "*** camera on uhub#" but I haven`t a block device for it. In fact, I have a CD with MS soft, but wine cannot interact just with umass.

The OS (i.e. FreeBSD) doesn't need a driver, the cardreader needs to support HC cards.
You can check the Acer site for a BIOS update, this might update the firmware so it will supportHC cards.

Otherwise getting an external USB card reader might be an option, they go for ~10 Euro.
I need a kernel module then, or something else to get block device in /dev. Just anything.

Slesarev said:
The pentax, of course, has no driver for FreeBSD, and I have no driver for SDHC card, while I have a reader in my ACER Aspire 9410Z notebook.

+1 on the card reader suggestion.

I purchased an inexpensive (US$15) card reader for situations like this.

anomie said:
+1 on the card reader suggestion.

I purchased an inexpensive (US$15) card reader for situations like this.
It`s not a true way. Of course, I may buy it at the end, but the true path is to make my included device working! At least, it has more fun.

Oh, I haven`t seen it before.
Dou you have expirience of using it?
Does this:
Code:
# gphotofs
fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory
mean that I have no hope? Is FUSE a spectrum emulator?

FUSE is a way to write filesystem drivers as userland programs.
You need to load a kernel module for it to work - try to kldload fuse first.

Slesarev said:
Oh, I haven`t seen it before.
Dou you have expirience of using it?
I use it with my camera. It's been a while since I last used it.
Does this:
Code:
# gphotofs
fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory
mean that I have no hope? Is FUSE a spectrum emulator?

As Djn says, try $ kldload fuse first, and see what happens when you try 'gphotofs' after that.

What kind of card reader is it? $ pciconv -lv will show it.
If you're using CURRENT, you can kldload mmc and sdhci and see if the card reader shows up.

Code:
none3@pci0:10:6:3:      class=0x080500 card=0x01071025 chip=0x803c104c rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Texas Instruments (TI)'
    device     = 'PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller'
    class      = base peripheral

Slesarev said:
Code:
none3@pci0:10:6:3:      class=0x080500 card=0x01071025 chip=0x803c104c rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Texas Instruments (TI)'
    device     = 'PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller'
    class      = base peripheral

I think this one should work with CURRENT's sdhci driver.

lme@ said:
If you're using CURRENT, you can kldload mmc and sdhci and see if the card reader shows up.
I cannot kldload them. Also, I`ve included them into my kernel long time ago - and recompiled it several days ago, but it still has no effect. That`s why I am confused.

lme@ said:
What kind of card reader is it? $ pciconv -lv will show it.

Damn it, i have
Code:
device mmc
and
Code:
device mmcsd
included in my kernel. The
Code:
device sdhci
does not compile (
Code:
config: Error: device "sdhci" is unknown
), and
Code:
# kldload mmc
kldload: can't load mmc: No such file or directory
What I am doing wrong, sir?

Hmm, go to /usr/src/sys/modules and run # make depend && make obj && make && make install in the directories mmc, mmcsd and sdhci. Then load the modules and it _should_ work :)

lme@ said:
Hmm, go to /usr/src/sys/modules and run # make depend && make obj && make && make install in the directories mmc, mmcsd and sdhci. Then load the modules and it _should_ work :)

Code:
# make install
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   mmc.ko /boot/kernel
install: mmc.ko: No such file or directory
*** Error code 71

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/mmc.
I`ve loaded new sources a week ago. Strange thing.

Hmm, were there any error messages building the mmc module?

Now I`ve downloaded new sources for 7.1 kernel, mmc and mmcsd compiled and kldloaded, but now I haven`t sdhci at all.
It seems, that the card reader works, but not with sdhc, as expexted.
So, would it be supported later?

Yes, sdhci is only available in 8-CURRENT.

sdhci is the kernel module for the internal SD card readers.

Uhm.... Just see the three drivers as one. All three together get me a working card reader ;)

Slesarev said:
It can see the camera attaching and detachind, but the camera has unusual interface - the umass just told me, that "*** camera on uhub#" but I haven`t a block device for it. In fact, I have a CD with MS soft, but wine cannot interact just with umass.

Been hit by the Kodak bug as well, our camera is capable of hard hanging the machine.
Fortunately, our Ricoh SD card reader built into the laptop works perfectly using sdmmc. Had no problems with Canon and Samsung. A Kodak Photoframe also confuses the hell out of umass.

Back