SCSI status error when reading from optical drive

Hi, I'm getting the following error when I try and install FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P USFF Desktop PC:
Code:
(cd1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 21 8d 33 00 00 01 00
(cd1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(cd1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(cd1:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: MEDIUM ERROR asc:11,0 (Unrecovered read error)
I'm using a 13.1-RELEASE DVD ISO that I've previously used successfully many times on other machines.
I've tried using both the machine's internal CD/DVD drive and also an external CD/DVD drive.
And both give the same error, just after the boot options have disappeared off the screen.

When I search for that error it usually relates to a hard drive rather than optical media (cd1).
So, I'm having a hard time diagnosing what the error is actually telling me.
Is it likely to be a SCSI controller error? Or does it point to the hard drive being the problem?

Thanks in advance

However, it's happening on two drives, one external and one internal, so I'm guessing that it's more likely to be the CD/DVD.
Or a combination of both. Writable CDs/DVDs tend to be quite fragile. While some drives may be able to read past some bad spots, other drives may have a problem with it. Although CDs were once touted as being indestructible, it turned out not to be true in practice. And that's with factory burned CDs. The (re)writable ones are even worse.

Back