scrotwm - want to test my port?

HI,

me, some keys binding work, some don't work...
Ex: workspace keys binding (next, prev, move, ..) don't work, layer switch, spawn_term, resize works..
I don't understand

Xorg 7.5, nouveau driver, dual monitor (xrandr), .xinitrc (startx), rxvt-unicode + zsh
my xinitrc :
Code:
xset b off

fbsetbg -l

synergys &

urxvtd -q -f -o

exec ck-launch-session scrotwm

exit 0

Hi again,

This bug is quite strange. I do not understand what is really happening (and I don't like this). Moreover, I run into a similar bug on a Debian (unstable) box yesterday :

Sometimes (I am not able to reproduced it :( ), the flash plugin on Debian get mad and when I close iceweasel, scrotwm's key bindings stop working. After launching xterm from tty1, all works again. There is an problem with event handling in scrotwm, but I did not manage to find out where exactly.

@nORKy : maybe you should try to launch a window before scortwm. Something like :

Code:
 urxvt & exec ck-launch-session scrotwm

Scrotwm really is a great window manager. If only someone could get rid of this bug.

Stilgart said:
@nORKy : maybe you should try to launch a window before scortwm. Something like :

Code:
 urxvt & exec ck-launch-session scrotwm

It changes nothings. The term starts, but, workspace bindings don't work.
I have the scrotwm.conf that comes with port.

I have a simple way to solve this issue. I also have an AZERTY keyboard. So here is my scrotwm.conf :

http://chadok.info/~cmouille/dot.scrotwm.conf

For information:
- The mod key is the "windows" key.
- I have commented all my stuff for mpd/mpc.

@aragon: is there an easy way to provide to the user a scrotwm.conf depending on the type of keyboard in use during the install of scrotwm ?

I have a new bug.
I use syngerys (freebsd) to use my mouse and kbd with a Windows host (client).
When I switch the layer to fullscreen mode, the mouse in Windows can move, but buttons don't work ; I must switch to horizontal/vertical mode.

Stilgart said:
@aragon: is there an easy way to provide to the user a scrotwm.conf depending on the type of keyboard in use during the install of scrotwm ?
I don't know, but my first question would be: how am I going to generate and test all the possible confs for the various keyboards out there?

@aragon : Hum. It is indeed an issue. Well, I suppose that the best that can be done is to prompt some warning message if the layout is not standart qwerty.

@nORKy : These settings work fine here. And I did not see any option about the border size in the man page. :(

A while ago I started writing a fairly elaborate bar_action script, but as I added more to it I noticed it was eating up a lot of CPU time. Don't know about you guys, but I use small WMs like scrotwm on my notebook mainly to keep CPU consumption at a minimum and so increase battery life. My elaborate bar_action script got out of hand in that regard, but here it is anyway:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

IFS=" "
SPEED=1

iostat -n 0 -w ${SPEED} | { while read tin tout cus cni csy cin cid; do
	## Battery status
	#
	ACLINE=$( sysctl -n hw.acpi.acline )
	BATTSTATE=$( sysctl -n hw.acpi.battery.state )
	BATTLIFE=$( sysctl -n hw.acpi.battery.life )
	BATTTIME=$( sysctl -n hw.acpi.battery.time )
	MESSAGE="Batt: "

case ${BATTSTATE} in
	0)
		if [ ${BATTLIFE} -ge 1 ]; then
			MESSAGE="${MESSAGE} ${BATTLIFE}%"
		fi
		;;
	1)
		if [ ${BATTLIFE} -ge 1 ]; then
			if [ ${BATTTIME} -ge 1 ]; then
				MESSAGE="${MESSAGE}, $((${BATTTIME}/60))h$((${BATTTIME}%60))m"
			fi
		fi
		;;
	2)
		if [ ${BATTLIFE} -ge 1 -a ${ACLINE} -eq 1 ]; then
			if [ ${ACLINE} -eq 1 ]; then
				MESSAGE="${MESSAGE} ${BATTLIFE}%, charging"
			else
			fi
		fi
		;;
	7)
		MESSAGE=""
		;;
	*)
		MESSAGE="${MESSAGE} unknown(${BATTSTATE})"
		;;
	esac

## CPU status
	#
	if [ -n "${cid}" -a "${cid}" != "id" ]; then
		MESSAGE="${MESSAGE} || CPU: $((100-${cid}))%, $(sysctl -n dev.cpu.0.freq)MHz, $(sysctl -n hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature)"
	else
		continue
	fi

echo ${MESSAGE}
done }

I started adding network status to it, but stopped when I saw how much CPU time it required.

In my frustration described above I started writing something in C that would do the same thing 100 times more efficiently. Maybe one day I'll finish enough of it so as to make it kind of a text-only version of conky/gkrellm. :)

For now it just reports CPU and Battery information using FreeBSD's C APIs. If you build it with WITH_DWM defined it'll add a "-x" argument that'll print output to X11's root window title so as to work with DWM.

Example invocation:

Code:
statf -f "CPU: %cl %cc || %bsD{On AC}%bl{Batt: %bl %bsc{(charging)}%bsd{%bt}}"

Which will print something like:

Code:
CPU: 1% 800MHz || Batt: 70% 4h42m

Contributions welcome. :)

Attachments

• statf-0.0.1.tar.gz
    5.5 KB · Views: 396
Hi again,

I have just updated scrotwm on my box and it appears that I do not have to use the trick of launching a window before scrotwm in order to have working key bindings anymore. :)
I am not sure if this is due to the new version of scrotwm or a previous upgrade of (part of) xorg, but this is good news anyway.

@nORKy : is this okay for you too ?

Hey. For anyone else who has been affected by the keyboard binding issue, it looks like it's fixed in 0.9.27. Should be in ports soon, or grab the patch here.

Back