Scrotwm not reading .scrotwm.conf

I seem to have come across a rather annoying and simple problem that remains a thorn in my side and I can't figure it out. I recently switched from Arch linux to FreeBSD and I love love love scrotwm and would like to get it working. Alas, it won't. I am using .xinitrc and startx to get things going. It seems to start just fine but it refuses to read my .scrotwm.conf file in my user folder as well as global /etc/scrotwm.conf folder I set up when my user one failed. I am baffled and can find nothing about this anywhere on the internet. At least, not with the approaches I have been using. The man page is of no help at all. Has anyone else come across this? Is there a simple solution that I have just completely overlooked?

in FreeBSD global config, in /usr/local/etc/ for ports.
It's weird that it didn't read your ~/.scrotwm.conf. On my box it works just fine

Any error messages in tty1?
log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Are you using the default scrotwm's configuration file?
If ^ false, post your scrotwm.conf to check for irregularities.

I have a feeling about permissions matter.

I did a ctrl-alt-f1 when it came up and I got an error at line 12 which is the bar_border_width line. I don't understand, I don't see anything wrong with it but maybe I am missing something obvious.

http://http://pastebin.com/BZJRd0gy

Am I missing some dependency? Is there an issue with spaces in my .conf file? I never had this issue in Arch.

ramonovski said:
I have a feeling about permissions matter.
I'll second that. Make sure the owner and permissions on the file are correct. Common mistake that's easily overlooked :e

No it's not typo'd on my computer, that was just 1am haha.

So far I have tried deleting the line 12 that was causing the trouble. Then, when I ran it again, line 24 was the issue. When I deleted that, line 48 was the issue as well as the error regarding the "autorun" in the .conf file.

Also, I did a chmod 777 .scrotwm.conf and still no result. I am still at the error described above.

user5813 said:
No it's not typo'd on my computer, that was just 1am haha.

So far I have tried deleting the line 12 that was causing the trouble. Then, when I ran it again, line 24 was the issue. When I deleted that, line 48 was the issue as well as the error regarding the "autorun" in the .conf file.

Show the exact error messages. Without them, this is guesswork. My guess is CRLF line endings on some lines.

Also, I did a chmod 777 .scrotwm.conf and still no result. I am still at the error described above.

Don't do that, change it back to 644 or 600. Allowing the world to edit your config files is a mistake.

graudeejs said:
btw, what doest startx print to stderr, stdout?

Neither, I can't find either of those (logs/strings) with a whereis query nor a string search of my startx file.

Addendum: I commented out the autorun options and received an error at line 59
Code:
unknown option layout

I am beginning to think I have a broken install, but I have deinstalled/reinstalled scrotwm twice.

How about trying a barebones config file to check if it works, instead of this config with all the bells and whistles? I have a barebones config in my github. Just change the font and term parameters to what you want and check.

graudeejs said:
btw, what doest startx print to stderr, stdout?

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
How about trying a barebones config file to check if it works, instead of this config with all the bells and whistles? I have a barebones config in my github. Just change the font and term parameters to what you want and check.

Ah thank you! Turns out my problem is a combination of a bad .conf file and an improperly configured keyboard (alt != Mod4) as well as general BSD noobery. Thanks to all for your help!

Back