Scripted bsdinstall

I want to write a script to create a jail with bsdinstall. However I can't get it to work. Running bsdinstall script ./jail-installscript.sh (where that file contains the below code) gives me the error No root partition was found. The root FreeBSD partition must have a mountpoint of '/'.

Code:
# Part I: preamble
BSDINSTALL_CHROOT="/var/jails/_base"
BSDINSTALL_DISTSITE="ftp://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/12.0-RELEASE"
DISTRIBUTIONS="base.txz"
# Part II: setup script
#!/bin/sh
echo Test

Can someone provide a small working example to get me started? Or help me find the issue with my current script?

I have never used a bsdinstall script, but I have used a bsdinstall shell to install FreeBSD on a gmirror created outside of the installer.
The one thing i discovered is the file path to the new install resides under /tmp/bsdinstall_*
So try this as your BSDINSTALL_CHROOT=/tmp/bsdinstall_var/jails/_base
I really don't think /var is the spot I would personally use. The /var folder is meant for "multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files"
See hier(7) for that quote.

Here is some of my FreeBSD bsdinstaller shell exploration:
I later made this into a shell script and copied it onto my USB memstick installer.
The only thing I had to change was the exit statement. This was causing the whole bsdinstall to shut down instead of ending the script.

For your particular project you will need the Networking phase to complete to have internet working.
So you should use the "post-Install shell" provided at the very end of FreeBSD install to run your script.
I needed my gmirror script to run before the Disk Setup phase began.

Getting a bit off topic here, but on the /var directory as the "home" for my jails. As per the same quote, the /var directory is meant for transient and spool files, e.g. user mailbox files and I believe many Linux distributions also put their website data in /var/www, or at least used to. To me it makes sense to put mail, web, jail... data in /var as they are transient in nature. So also /var/gamesfor game status and score files, i.e. game data that changes in contents and size. Could you recommend a better location for jail and web data? hier(7) does not explicitly state where you should put that data (other than, as I read it, in /var).

Back on topic, changing the variable BSDINSTALL_CHROOT to your recommended setting does not change anything. I will check the link you posted.

I would try and do this manually from a bsdinstall shell and then scriptify it.
you recommend a better location for jail
/usr/jail is what I use.
That was just my personal opinion. Jails can go anywhere you want.

The handbook suggests /usr/jail
Bullet point 1.) "A good choice can be /usr/jail/jailname, where jailname is the hostname identifying the jail."

I would try and do this manually from a bsdinstall shell and then scriptify it.
I have installed a bunch of jails manually and now want to script it. Doing the bsdinstall manually does not help me in finding the correct values for these parameters.
/usr/jail is what I use.
That was just my personal opinion. Jails can go anywhere you want.

The handbook suggests /usr/jail
Bullet point 1.) "A good choice can be /usr/jail/jailname, where jailname is the hostname identifying the jail."
I know it is just your personal opinion :) and that you can put anything anywhere. To me, /var sounds like a more logical place as /usr is for "user utilities and applications" (as per hier(7)) and for me jails are just data for the host OS, not applications.

I believe Linux created /srv for hosting services, which could include jails (virtualization), websites, and the like.

Back