screensaver problem on 2.26

hi everybody,

i have a strange problem with gnome-screensaver. after it activates, i can't get login screen. if i press any key it appears for a second and then disappears again. i figured out that if i kill screensaver from console i am back in gnome, but i would be glad if i got my login screen back :)

any help would be appretiated...

i spent a few days on rebuilding world and kernel to 7-STABLE, removed all
ports and package database, deleted complete /usr/local/ and reinstalled all ports. guess what? the problem persists :(
perhaps someone can understand those .xsession-errors better (i guess they could be related to the problem):

Code:
** (gnome-power-manager:1205): WARNING **: DBUS error: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver': no such name
** (gnome-power-manager:1205): DEBUG: proxy is NULL, maybe the daemon responsible for org.gnome.ScreenSaver is not running?

hi SirDice, thank you for showing interest for the problem.

my current rc.conf is:

Code:
hostname="shakti.underbottom.org"
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP -bgscan"
keymap="us.iso"
dbus_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

and i have a line in my fstab:
Code:
proc  /proc  procfs  rw  0  0

i also tried without gnome_enable (adding dbus, hald gdm and avahi stuff to rc.conf), but there was no improvement. although freebsd gnome faq says that gnome_enable should enable all those services i get following messages if i don't add dbus_enable:
Code:
Jun 10 10:50:49 shakti root: /etc/rc: WARNING: $dbus_enable is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
Jun 10 10:50:50 shakti avahi-daemon[761]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

any other ideas? i don't know where to start looking for solution :(

some fresh news...
i invoked screensaver again, couldn't get back to gnome as usual, went ctrl+alt+f1 to console, killed the gnome-screensaver process, but when gnome screen returned it was frozen (would not accept mouse and keyboard input)
i ssh-ed into it, which worked, and top showed that Xorg is consuming more and more wcpu and the process is in biowr state (don't know what it really is but sounds like trouble). systat -vmstat shows somehow big number of interrupts for ata0 (irq14) - 2774 at this moment. My hdd write indicator led shows constant activity.
Maybe this would be the right time to mention i get all this wierd behaviour on Asus EEE PC 1000 HD...

That last issue (switching to the console then switching back to X) looks more like a video driver issue. That would be separate from the current issue.

I should be done with building Gnome and I'll see if I can reproduce the screensaver issue tonight.

thanx a lot... to give some more information, i use intel driver for integrated i915gm card. so perhaps switching to vesa would confirm that it is a driver issue? anyway in the meantime i reinstalled 7.2-RELEASE from distribution dvd, i will see if problem persists.

it appears i am not alone... people on this thread have the same problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/luck...5647780b746dd/78eef2ecb85722be?lnk=raot&pli=1

a little offtopic: in the meantime i reinstalled 7.2-RELEASE from CD with KDE instead of gnome, was so slow i couldn't work. Installed gnome again, got annoyed by loads of pulseaudio error messages, wiped all again, put opensolaris for the first time and couldn't believe when it asked me to buy codecs to listen to mp3s. guess i will have to abandon my netadmin job for some where i don't have to use computer :)

just a joke... first thing tomorrow fresh install of 7.2-RELEASE again :)

Well, I've got Gnome running. Screensaver seems to work fine. Did you perhaps compile it with PAM support?

You are not alone, I have tried the same solutions that you have and it still is jacked up. I'll keep you posted if I discover anything.

hey guys .. 1st time freebsd'er ..
i got the same problem. only seems to happen when the GDM login prompt (unlock prompt) is displayed.

I have the same problem.
7.2-RELEASE
GENERIC kernel
Ports CVS
gnome-screensaver-2.26.1

But my initial problem is not about g-s cannot display unlock dialog. But CPU keep running after clean shutdown, power led off and monitor led on. Things like it's being sleep. This solve by downgrade g-s to 2.26.0.

As later updating all ports. The problem is that, while g-s lock the desktop, the unlock dialog cannot stay open.

I am sure hald and dbus are running. proc is there too.

Backporting to gtk-2.16.1 fix this problem. At least for now, for me.

Back