Solved scanimage cuts off letter size image, xsane doesn't

I don't know if this is just my scanner or even just *my* scanner. I have a Samsung C460W MF color laser. I have frequently used a little script that I found somewhere to make a pdf from the command line.
Code:
scanimage -p --mode Gray|pnmtops -imageheight 11 -imagewidth 8.5|ps2pdf - $1
I don't scan that much, and most of what I do has a large margin on top, so I never noticed this till recently when I scanned something that had something about 1/4-1/2'' (6.35-12.7 mm) printed on top and scanimage doesn't scan it. (I tested with the scanimage command alone to make sure it wasn't the other programs in that command).
If I use xsane, the print at top does get scanned.

This happens on various versions of Linux as well as FreeBSD, but I figure the people here are quite knowledgeable and might have an answer if there is one. To use this scanner, I edit /usr/local/etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf, replacing the usb line under the Samsung C460 series with tcp <ip.address>
I've been doing some searching, with terms like scanimage cuts off top, but it hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Last edited:
So, to reply to my own post, and as no one replied, I think it was a Just Me(TM) problem, an upgrade of the sane-backends package seems to have fixed it. I ran pkg upgrade today and one of the upgrades was to sane-backends-1.0.32. I then tested, and scanimage got the complete sheet.

As most of my scanning is to pdf, I found a little script that works well to scan, and turn to pdf. It saves me from opening xsane and going through the various steps.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
scanimage -p --mode Gray|pnmtops -imageheight 11 -imagewidth 8.5|ps2pdf - $1
This works well with my Samsung C460 MFC printer scanner. In contrast, a friend on another forum found that for his Epsom, it didn't work well, and he used hp-scan. Anyway, figured I'd pass it along in case it's of use to someone.

Back