SCALE19X Conference Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drew Gurkowski

IMG_3124-1024x768.jpg

IMG_9887-1024x751.jpg

On July 28th, I joined many in the FreeBSD community and headed to Los Angeles, California for SCALE19X. Being the first in-person conference that the Foundation had attended since the pandemic, we were excited to advocate for FreeBSD face-to-face.

We kicked off the event with an all-day workshop: “Getting Started With FreeBSD” taught by Roller Angel. The workshop was prefaced by a brief presentation that I gave on FreeBSD, the Foundation, and some of our history. Turnout for the workshop was great, and many people who had never experienced FreeBSD before left with a virtual FreeBSD machine set up and configured on their own devices. The workshop started with a from-scratch installation of FreeBSD on virtualbox, covered configuration of a basic desktop environment, and then dove into more advanced setup using Poudriere and Ansible. A text version of the workshop can be found online for anyone who wants to try out the workshop themselves.

The Foundation also had a table at the SCALE19X expo hall, with plenty of FreeBSD swag to hand out. I had some great conversations with the people who had attended the workshop and were interested in finding out more about FreeBSD. I met a professor who was talking about introducing FreeBSD to his students (who mainly worked on Linux machines) to give them a better understanding of the differences between operating systems. In addition to FreeBSD newbies, a lot of the attendees were long-time FreeBSD users and it was fascinating to talk to them about their experiences with early FreeBSD and Unix systems when they had first started.

SCALE continues to be a fantastic conference to advocate for FreeBSD and encourage people to both use and contribute to FreeBSD. We’re so excited to be attending in-person conferences again and meeting even more members of the FreeBSD community around the world!

The post SCALE19X Conference Report first appeared on FreeBSD Foundation.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back