Solved SATA to SFF-8643?

Hi folks,

everybody knows SFF-8643 to SATA cables. There are also SFF-8087 to SATA cables and special SATA to SFF-8087 cables to be able to connect from SATA onboard connector to miniSAS backplane. But I read that by using special SATA to SFF-8087 cables you lose the ability for hot swaping, right?

My main question is, what about SATA to SFF-8643? Do you need special a SATA to SFF-8643 cable to connect from SATA onboard connector to backplane or can you simply use a SFF-8643 to SATA cable vice versa? Do special special a SATA to SFF-8643 cable exist? :-/

Many SATA controllers support hot-swapable too. You can't use a SATA controller to drive SAS disks but most (all?) SAS controllers can drive SATA disks.

Normal "1:1" wired backplanes MIGHT work when connected to a SATA controller (check the datasheet of your backplane!) and hot-swapping is usually supported by all halfway modern SATA controllers. Port expanders definitely won't work, as well as most backplanes with "advanced" features such as nvme-support.
You also loose any capabilities of the backplane like e.g. locating a disk or getting a nice listing of the disks and their corresponding physical position (i.e. everything sesutil(8) related) and you also get all the drawbacks of SATA like e.g. only a single command queue and (much) lower throughput.

TBH, with prices of proper SAS HBAs nowadays (even with the currently inflated prices) I wouldn't waste a single cent on an adapter cable to use a SATA controller. If this is a home server just get yourself one of those "brown box" SAS2008 or 3008 HBAs (depending on the age/capabilities of your hardware) and you can make proper use of your backplane...

I "salvaged" a couple of LSI SAS2008 based controllers from old hardware that was being thrown away. Those are excellent controllers and have good support on FreeBSD. They might be a little old but for my home servers they're perfect.

There are also SFF-8087 to SATA cables and special SATA to SFF-8087 cables to be able to connect from SATA onboard connector to miniSAS backplane. But I read that by using special SATA to SFF-8087 cables you lose the ability for hot swaping, right?
They are called:
sata to sff-8087 mini sas reverse breakout cable

Description​

This reverse breakout cable by Delock can be used to connect internal SAS devices, e.g. an HDD backplane with Mini SAS connector to a controller with 4 SATA ports. The metal clips on the SATA connectors provide a snap-in connection.

Note​

• It is not possible to use SAS hard disks with a SATA controller.
• To connect a SAS controller with SFF-8087 to 4 SATA hard disks, you can use Delock item
83313 (forward breakout).

Specification​

• Connector:
host:
4 x SATA 7 pin >
device:
1 x Mini SAS SFF-8087 male
1 x 8 pin sideband pin header female
• Pin assignment: reverse breakout
• Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) specification
• Length incl. connector: ca. 0.5 m

System requirements​

• A free Mini SAS or SATA interface

>> sata to sff-8643 <<

Description​

This reverse breakout cable by Delock can be used to connect internal SAS devices, e.g. an HDD backplane with Mini SAS HD connector to a controller with 4 SATA ports. The metal clips on the SATA connectors provide a snap-in connection.

Note​

• It is not possible to use SAS hard disks with a SATA controller.
• To connect a SAS controller with SFF-8643 to 4 SATA hard disks, you can use
Delock item 83392 (forward breakout).

Specification​

• Connector:
host:
4 x SATA 7 pin >
device:
1 x Mini SAS HD SFF-8643 male
1 x 8 pin sideband pin header female
• Pin assignment: reverse breakout
• 12 Gbps Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) specification
• Length incl. connector: ca. 0.5 m

System requirements​

• A free Mini SAS or SATA interface

Normal "1:1" wired backplanes MIGHT work when connected to a SATA controller (check the datasheet of your backplane!) and hot-swapping is usually supported by all halfway modern SATA controllers. Port expanders definitely won't work, as well as most backplanes with "advanced" features such as nvme-support.
You also loose any capabilities of the backplane like e.g. locating a disk or getting a nice listing of the disks and their corresponding physical position (i.e. everything sesutil(8) related) and you also get all the drawbacks of SATA like e.g. only a single command queue and (much) lower throughput.

TBH, with prices of proper SAS HBAs nowadays (even with the currently inflated prices) I wouldn't waste a single cent on an adapter cable to use a SATA controller. If this is a home server just get yourself one of those "brown box" SAS2008 or 3008 HBAs (depending on the age/capabilities of your hardware) and you can make proper use of your backplane...
True - then it is sata-only, of course.

Regarding the HBAs: Since I discovered that using atop on FreeBSD and Linux you get different (higher) workload values when one and the same drive is connected to SoC IO-SATA 6-Port-Controler of intel (D15xx) comparing to - as said - same drive connected to a HBA. The difference is factor between 9 and 11 or even more 🤮 (!!), meaning during i.e. write ops a WD spin disk is busy by 67% delivering 10,95 MB/s at avio 3.35ms being connected to onboard intel soc controler on a supermicro mobo, but while using a HBA it is busy by 5% with same data rate and only avio 0.3ms. This is scary!

This kills your sata system ;) even SATA is not designed for high production workloads, it should deliver better write performance on single sequential write approach, right? On Linux and FreeBSD I suffered dropps on write down to 10% of 1GBit thanks to intel-soc-power. 🤣

That's why I decided to go for Broadcom HBA 9300 and 9400 ...

Back