Sat->IP server

Is it possible to set up a Sat->IP server under FreeBSD?
That depends on what you mean by "Sat->IP"?

Satellite TV? If so, it'll work the same as DVB-T or DVB-C cards, there's basically no difference where the signal comes from as long as you have a working TV card.

You want to create a machine that will output SAT>IP? Or do you want to create a machine that will input (ingest) SAT>IP? If the latter, then consider this port:

If however you want to create and output SAT>IP then I think you are on your own, but we will love you if you create port afterwards. :) or go buy SAT>IP satellite receiver.

You want to create a machine that will output SAT>IP? Or do you want to create a machine that will input (ingest) SAT>IP? If the latter, then consider this port:

If however you want to create and output SAT>IP then I think you are on your own, but we will love you if you create port afterwards. :) or go buy SAT>IP satellite receiver.

Presumably a SAT>IP satellite receiver would be running some sort of Linux.... and I guess it would have something like tvheadend running on it.

Don't know much about them at all, but may get one just to have a look.

Well, it is possible however you might have issues with your SAT Adapter beeing detected or getting drivers for it.
I have a TVHeadend Server running inside a Bhyve VM with Ubuntu, my main OS is FreeBSD 11.1.
I had to do passthrough of my DVB-S2 PCI-Express Card to the Bhyve VM and everything works fine.
If you want to run natively on FreeBSD you have to get a compatible adapter. Here you have a list of adapters known to work on FreeBSD: https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat

Back