sasl/pam confusion

First off I apologize if you feel I should have asked this question in a Postfix forum.

I have been trying to understand how Postfix works and so far I have successfully implemented
POSTFIX
Cyrus SASL
Cyrus IMAP

All works fine and I can authenticate with IMAP as well as SMTPD but a few things have confused me and I was wondering if anyone can help clarify.

Both smtpd.conf and imapd.conf have been set up to use saslauthd, saslauthd is working with -a pam. Inside pam.d/ I have one imap.conf but no smtp.conf which means PAM will use others. I understand that much. But inside the file imap for instance it tells PAM to use pam_unix.so which to me should only authenticate against passwd. But all my authentications are happening against sasldb2. How does PAM know to authenticate against sasldb2?

Second IMAP uses user name only to authenticate for instance username: junaid but SMTP requires junaid@hostname. In the sasldb I can see the username is appeneded with the hostname like junaid@mail.example.com.

How can I make them both use the same username and also can I use domain name instead of hostname in my sasldb2 file somehow?

Any information appreciated. Thank you

Back