Solved Santa Claus presents: OSS support for audio/cava ... and JACK too?!

I guess creating a man page is going to be your next upstream contribution 😜
Unfortunately I doubt it. My current interests shifted to the more "game-y" side of life with an attempt to port the Nintendo Switch emulator Ryujinx to FreeBSD thanks to the inclusion of lang/dotnet into the official ports tree. But there's a roadblock currently (Thread 92266). Then I wanted to do some classical CRPG gaming with Baldur's Gate (the original 5 disc set from 1998:)) and discovered games/gemrb. Filled a PR 277064 because it crashes after character creation when build with clang. Now I'm investigating if I can make some contributions to GemRB.

Alternatively, a pkg-message on install might be reasonable (I'm not sure).
I think that's not a bad idea. The fact that you can't visualize the "desktop audio" without further setup when using OSS or sndio can probably be surprising for users without deeper knowledge of these sound systems. We could at least point to the README.md in the pkg-message.

I am clearly inexperienced when it comes to audio on FreeBSD so I need to read up on some stuff first.
For a quick and dirty test you can copy/paste the instructions from the README.md (replacing /dev/dspX with /dev/dsp4 obviously) almost verbatim ;):

OSS:
Code:
$ doas pkg install virtual_oss
$ doas virtual_oss -r44100 -b16 -c2 -s4ms -P /dev/dsp4 -R /dev/null -T /dev/sndstat -l dsp

$ cava

Sndio:
Code:
$ sndiod -m play,mon

$ AUDIODEVICE=snd/0 cava
It should work with the default ~/.config/cava/config, aside from changing the input method from the default method = oss to method = sndio if needed.

EDIT: I do not want to flex, but you know, you can also try and use JACK with Firefox and CAVA :cool:

Back