Ryzen Micro Stutter Fix

Since upgrading my desktop computer (Ryzen 3600 CPU) to FreeBSD 13, I have been experiencing some issues with micro stutters. This was most noticeable in games, but also some when using Firefox. I first thought this had something to do with the video drivers (which somehow ended being a mess - I have an AMD GPU, but somehow got the Nvidia driver installed which was preventing xf86-video-amdgpu from running) but after clearing up all those issues, still had the problem. After dedicating some time this weekend to the issue, I eventually came across this post on the FreeBSD mailing lists:

The solution was to set sysctl kern.sched.steal_thresh=1
Apparently the default is "2"

This seems to be an issue that affects Ryzen CPU's, but I would be interested if it applicable to any similarly high thread-count CPU. My older Xeon E3-1230 v2 system did not encounter these issues.

After making this change, I was able to test a couple of the programs where I had been experiencing the issue. In those programs, the issue had made the experience rather unpleasant, and therefore unusable. After making this change, these programs ran as smoothly as I expected. As it was getting rather late last night, I wasn't able to test out everything that was having issues, but so far I am pleased with the improvement.

Putting this out there on the forums in case anyone else is experiencing the issue and is looking here for a fix.

I haven't noticed a difference regarding the upgrade from 12 to 13. Also I haven't noticed a computer or OS completely without micro stutters. But recently I noticed a heavier one on a Adobe XD site with Firefox (90), which runs like a charm after adjusting this parameter. Also I had those micro stutters on playing YouTube videos if compiled without PulseAudio - now it runs flawless :)

So far my first impressions and tests. My hardware: MSI "B450M Mortar Max" (*sigh*), AMD "Ryzen 7 3700x", NVIDIA "GeForce GT 1030 Silent LP 2G"

I think this issue has been going on since at least 12. I recall experiencing this issue over a year ago and giving up trying to run FreeBSD on my main computer at that point. I was and am still using a Ryzen 5 2600X.

This worked, I also use a Ryzen 5 3600X. Thanks a bundle!

I have the same problem, I set sysctl kern.sched.steal_thresh = 0
on my ryzen 5 1600x and I still have micro cuts or am I doing something wrong

I have the same problem, I set sysctl kern.sched.steal_thresh = 0
on my ryzen 5 1600x and I still have micro cuts or am I doing something wrong
Try sysctl kern.sched.steal_thresh=1

And add the following to a new line in /etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.sched.steal_thresh=1

OMG! Old thread, but I just wanted to say thank-you to everyone who contributed. I've been experiencing this problem ever since I built my first FreeBSD desktop system about six months ago using an MSI X470 and Ryzen 5 3400G. I switched from the built-in AMD graphics to an old Nvidia GTX 780 and that seemed to help, but I still had a jittery experience which was very annoying. Adjusting kern.sched.steal_thresh to 1 solved (or at least worked around) the problem.

Thanks, everyone!

I haven't noticed a difference regarding the upgrade from 12 to 13. Also I haven't noticed a computer or OS completely without micro stutters. But recently I noticed a heavier one on a Adobe XD site with Firefox (90), which runs like a charm after adjusting this parameter. Also I had those micro stutters on playing YouTube videos if compiled without PulseAudio - now it runs flawless :)

So far my first impressions and tests. My hardware: MSI "B450M Mortar Max" (*sigh*), AMD "Ryzen 7 3700x", NVIDIA "GeForce GT 1030 Silent LP 2G"
Does sleep work with B450M ?

Back