Solved RX 6400 Not Supported

I was going to wait for 14.0 Release to use my RX 6400 GPU. I thought for sure it must work in the testing so I gave the latest build a try and sure enough it does not work. Card0 doesn't exist according to Xorg.

I guess fb works but not accel available. Glxgears locks up the system and I tried gnome and plasma and they both fail to start.

Im using icewm and xrandr locks up. Hahaha man. Nothing works! Oh well, not even an rc yet so it's ok. Pretty cool to get a desktop though.

Man, this is exciting to see it kind of works. I can play card games and stuff but I launched kdenlive and got a full system lockup.

Pretty cool trying a pre release though. I'm excited for when 14 is ready!!

Pretty cool trying a pre release though.
It's not a pre-release. It's not even an alpha release at this stage. Code slush has been delayed. When we get to the creation of the 14/stable branch then you could call it an alpha. Then the releng/14.0 branch will get created and the release fun actually starts.

That said, development of the DRM kernel module has very little to do with FreeBSD release schedule. Apart from the LINUXKPI infrastructure that has to be implemented in the kernel for the DRM module to use.

I'll be honest, I'm very much so an end user of my systems. I don't fully understand the process of making FreeBSD. But this does help a bit.

So when 14.0 Release is available the drm-515-kmod development will continue and is not frozen?

Am I kind of getting how that works?

So when 14.0 Release is available the drm-515-kmod development will continue and is not frozen?
Yep. Bugs will continue to get fixed. Development of that DRM module is completely separate. The DRM module does use some LINUXKPI calls that are implemented in the kernel. So if the updated DRM code requires changing of those LINUXKPI calls then it would be 'hampered' by the version of FreeBSD. Once 14.0 has been released they can't make any drastic changes to it any more. That's why 13.x only supports DRM 5.10 and 14.0 has support for 5.15. That said, I do believe they're implementing some of the required changes in 13-STABLE, so when 13.3 eventually gets released it should be able to run DRM 5.15.

I'll be honest, I'm very much so an end user of my systems. I don't fully understand the process of making FreeBSD. But this does help a bit.

Am I kind of getting how that works?
FreeBSD's releases (like 13.0-RELEASE, 13.2-RELEASE, 14-CURRENT, and the like) are rather independent of ports. The port will specify what version of FreeBSD it's compatible with. You can compile older versions of graphics/drm-kmod on newer releases of FreeBSD, no problem (if you have the older hardware that requires older drivers).

That being said, RX 6400 should be supported by DRM 5.15 and later by now.

FreeBSD's releases (like 13.0-RELEASE, 13.2-RELEASE, 14-CURRENT, and the like) are rather independent of ports. The port will specify what version of FreeBSD it's compatible with. You can compile older versions of graphics/drm-kmod on newer releases of FreeBSD, no problem (if you have the older hardware that requires older drivers).

That being said, RX 6400 should be supported by DRM 5.15 and later by now.
I wish it were. But it came out after the other 6000 series devices and it's only able to run in a frame buffer. Even a hardware probe locks the system up. Anything trying to use acceleration locks up the system.

I have a Rx 6700XT and it works fine on 14-current, with drm-515-kmod. So you may just be missing something else. First of all, did you install xf86-video-amdgpu and remember to add user to video group etc?

Gnome with amd has a DRI3 bug and doesn't work for me unless I set it to DRI2 in xorg settings. (you will get a grey screen or Oops message). Also, kde might have issues sometimes on new releases.

I use fvwm3 and everything is fine for the most part

edit. ok just saw your last message, so not sure about your card. Maybe it is a late entry. Do you know/have the gpu-firmware installed too with drm-515, since they are split now? i.e i need drm-515 and gpu-firmware (something) navy-flounder

I have a Rx 6700XT and it works fine on 14-current, with drm-515-kmod. So you may just be missing something else. First of all, did you install xf86-video-amdgpu and remember to add user to video group etc?

Gnome with amd has a DRI3 bug and doesn't work for me unless I set it to DRI2 in xorg settings. (you will get a grey screen or Oops message). Also, kde might have issues sometimes on new releases.

I use fvwm3 and everything is fine for the most part

edit. ok just saw your last message, so not sure about your card. Maybe it is a late entry. Do you know/have the gpu-firmware installed too with drm-515, since they are split now? i.e i need drm-515 and gpu-firmware (something) navy-flounder
Yes, I have them all installed. Apparently Linux had support from kernel 5.14 but drm-515-kmod is broken on this GPU.

Newer versions of graphics/drm-kmod don't get installed properly for some reason.
The port doesn't seem to take -CURRENT into account anymore. Not sure why.

Code:
.if ${OPSYS} != FreeBSD
IGNORE=		not supported on anything but FreeBSD (missing linuxkpi functionality)
.else
.  if ${OSVERSION} < 1300000
RUN_DEPENDS+=	${KMODDIR}/drm.ko:graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
_DRM_ARCHS=	amd64 i386
.  elif ${OSVERSION} >= 1301000
RUN_DEPENDS+=	${KMODDIR}/drm.ko:graphics/drm-510-kmod
_DRM_ARCHS=	aarch64 amd64 i386 powerpc64 powerpc64le
.  else
_DRM_ARCHS=
.  endif
There's only some detection for everything below 13.0 and higher or same as 13.1. An older incarnation of the port also checked for 14.0 and installed the development version of the DRM module. The whole module naming convention got changed at some point too.

I ordered an RX 560 DE (OEM HP brand with 2GB and no power connector) to replace the RX 6400 until a later date. The RX 560 actually has a higher power usage and is reportedly 65% slower in benchmarks. But should do nicely at 1024x768.

As long as it works I will be very happy. My only concern is power usage. The RX 6400 used 43 watt and the OEM HP motherboard I have in the system has a max output of 55watt on the PCIe gen 3.0 slot (apparently) but the 560 reports a max of 75 watt. This is, however, not for the OEM model I have ordered and I assume the usage is closer to 55 watt since it's a super low power HP part and I believe that some models that used this motherboard were sold with this RX 560 DE GPU. The motherboard is from the HP PRO 6300 MT.

EDIT: can't confirm that motherboard GPU shipped together. Well, fingers crossed that it will work.

Just wanted to update. The RX 560 DE works perfectly on my low powered OEM HP 6300 Pro MT motherboards 16x PCIe 3.0 slot. So I can play games and watch video without issue. I'm putting together another system at the moment with an RX 5700 XT and can't wait to see how well it does on 13.2 Release.

Back