general/other running linux compatibility layer (for sublime)

I installed sublime thusly:

Code:
sudo -s
sudo pkg install linux-sublime3

# when it complained about missing 64 bit linux or somesuch
kldload linux64.ko

sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf linux64_enable=YES
sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf linux_enable=YES

vi /etc/fstab
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs rw  0 0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys linsysfs  rw  0 0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs rw,mode=1777  0 0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys linsysfs  rw  0 0

mount -a

reboot or whatever

Now I have sublime3, but it pops up a stupid upgrade reminder. After I installed 4, it prompted me for a key and wouldn't just run. So, ick. I'm using 3 and putting up with the popup on startup for the time being.

My question is, what have I done?! :). But seriously, I've never run the linux subsystem in freebsd before. Is it gonna mess with the rest of my system or am I gonna be ok with it hanging around? I've grown to love sublime during my linux jaunt this past year and I kinda wanna keep it.

You can remove the filesystems from fstab, they'll get automatically mounted when /etc/rc.d/linux is started nowadays. Only linux_enable="YES" is used, linux64_enable doesn't do anything.

It's not going to "mess" with the rest of the system. But for a linux port to work you usually also have to install emulators/linux_base-c7. If you want to get rid of it just uninstall it and remove linux_enable.

You can remove the filesystems from fstab, they'll get automatically mounted when /etc/rc.d/linux is started nowadays. Only linux_enable="YES" is used, linux64_enable doesn't do anything.
Yup, you're right. Seems like all you need is:

Code:
kldload linux64.ko
pkg install linux-sublime3
sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf linux_enable=YES
reboot

It's not going to "mess" with the rest of the system. But for a linux port to work you usually also have to install emulators/linux_base-c7. If you want to get rid of it just uninstall it and remove linux_enable.
Nice!

Would you happen to know how from the top of your head recent "nowdays" is?
I'm fairly certain it was enabled in 13.x, it may have been introduced earlier but I'm not sure.

Back