running kde apps from xfce

I was told that I would be able to run kde apps from xfce in another thread a while ago. I must be missing something. I have enabled Launch kde services on startup in the Settings Manager, but when I try to run a kde app:
Code:
$ kwrite
kwrite: not found
$ konqueror
konqueror: not found
$ kmail
kmail: not found
$
I'll bet its something really simple, but I can't seem to find anything in the handbook or the forums.

tkjacobsen said:
you have to add /usr/local/kde4/bin to you path!

bash:
export PATH=/usr/local/bin/kde4:$PATH

csh:
setenv PATH /usr/local/bin/kde4:$PATH

I use csh so I setenv as superuser. Still can't run kde apps from xfce. Is it because I'm using GDM instead of KDM?

topher said:
I use csh so I setenv as superuser. Still can't run kde apps from xfce. Is it because I'm using GDM instead of KDM?

I tried using KDM instead of GDM and still can't run kde apps when logged into xfce.

try navigating to where they are located and double click on them.

If it runs, it is just a case of adding that extra bin directory to a path so xfce knows where to find it.

it doesnt really have anything to do with xfce finding the program since OP is launching from a terminal.
just edit your .cshrc and add the additional path for the kde programs then do $ source .cshrc

kpedersen said:
try navigating to where they are located and double click on them.

If it runs, it is just a case of adding that extra bin directory to a path so xfce knows where to find it.

setenv PATH /usr/local/bin/kde4:$PATH should have been setenv PATH /usr/local/kde4/bin:$PATH

LateNiteTV said:
it doesnt really have anything to do with xfce finding the program since OP is launching from a terminal.
just edit your .cshrc and add the additional path for the kde programs then do $ source .cshrc

Does that only enable running kde apps from the csh shell?

topher said:
Does that only enable running kde apps from the csh shell?

Yes, that will only enable that from the csh.

I have this in my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$XDG_DATA_DIRS:/usr/local/kde4/share/"
export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/kde4/bin"
startxfce4
And I can run KDE apps from Xfce just fine.

As you are using a graphical login manager, I guess you need to do the exporting in your ~/.xsession -- you can simply make ~/.xsession a symlink to ~/.xinitrc if you haven't done so already (or vice-versa).

Back