Running background job from pkg POST-INSTALL script

I have a binary package that in it's post-install script starts a backgroup job. (Mimics a daemon) Currently when executing pkg install <package> the post-install script is ran and the background job is started, but upon exit of pkg, pkg also kills all of its children including the background job. I am trying to figure out a way to ether get pkg to no kill all children on exit, or to run the background job in its own process group.

I have a binary package that in it's post-install script starts a backgroup job.
This is generally frowned upon. Personally I do not like the idea of a package that "automagically" starts its own (background) processes.
(Mimics a daemon)
These should be started using rc(8) scripts. And the general rule of services/daemons is that they're off by default and need to be specifically enabled.

This is generally frowned upon. Personally I do not like the idea of a package that "automagically" starts its own (background) processes.

These should be started using rc(8) scripts. And the general rule of services/daemons is that they're off by default and need to be specifically enabled.

This is wrapped in an rc script that is installed at /etc/rc.d. In my particular test case the package is already installed and running and this is an upgrade. After the upgrade is over the install restarts the "daemon" by invoking service <daemon> restart in the post-install section of the installer. (Seems like standard practices to me)

The daemon is restarted and running, but as soon as the pkg installer exits the daemon is killed.

This is wrapped in an rc script that is installed at /etc/rc.d.
Wrong place. It should be /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

In my particular test case the package is already installed and running and this is an upgrade. After the upgrade is over the install restarts the "daemon" by invoking service <daemon> restart in the post-install section of the installer. (Seems like standard practices to me)
Not on FreeBSD. No port/package (of the 33701 available) automatically restarts (or starts) services.

Back