groups: wlan
    ssid batatinha channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g ht/20) bssid xxxx
    regdomain FCC country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
    scanvalid 60 protmode CTS ht20 ampdulimit 32k ampdudensity 2 -stbc
    -ldpc -uapsd wme dtimperiod 1 -dfs
    parent interface: run0
    media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11ng <hostap>
    nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
but I can't see the ssid on any client, tried two different notebooks and two smartphones.

This is a Raspberry Pi 3B running 13.2-RC2. The lines to create that above are:
Code:
root@rpi3:~ # ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev run0 wlanmode hostap
root@rpi3:~ # ifconfig wlan0 ssid batatinha
root@rpi3:~ # ifconfig wlan0 up
I come here to question as I have another usb dongle but using rum0 driver and those lines are enough to create a ssid visible for another devices.

Is this a bug? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

none

Last edited by a moderator:
uhhh... wlan0 needs to be up first, before you assign SSID to it. Also, read the Handbook on setting up your machine as an AP.

Hi astyle, thanks for the info. I tried in the order you told, and the result was the same. If I use the rum0 dongle, in any order, it works.

My question is to know how can I tell if its a hardware issue or driver.

thanks again,

none

I come here to question as I have another usb dongle but using rum0 driver and those lines are enough to create a ssid visible for another devices.
Sorry I misssed all that.

All I can offer is this. When I did RT5370 on Beaglebone as hostapd I had to hand load a module.

Make sure this is coming up with your interface.

You are loading the run firmware at boot too? That could be the issue.

Yes hostapd.conf
The issue is not connecting, way before it it fails, I cannot even see the ssid to try to connect to it.
Did you try to read the Handbook on how to set up as a wifi Access Point (https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/advanced-networking/#network-wireless, section 33.3.6. FreeBSD Host Access Points) If you follow along, and tell us at which step you got stuck, it's easier to help you... 😅
Thanks man, but I can get another USB dongle to broadcast a ssid. This is not possible with this.
Sorry I misssed all that.

All I can offer is this. When I did RT5370 on Beaglebone as hostapd I had to hand load a module.

Make sure this is coming up with your interface.

You are loading the run firmware at boot too? That could be the issue.
See bellow
if_run_load="YES"
runfw_load="YES"
Hi again :)

I found another thread you posted and tried it, thanks :)

I did all you said above, and nothing worked. So I kinda got suspicious about it and I took a closer look at the device itself. And that was it.

Thanks for the help, but the issue was the device, it is not working at all :(

none

run0: <1.0> on usbus1 run0: MAC/BBP RT5390 (rev 0x0502), RF RT5370 (MIMO 1T1R), address xxxx run0: [HT] Enabling 802.11n
Everything here points to it working. Same with your ifconfig output shown.

ifconfig should bring up the the firmware loading details on the command line.

I have not tried my USB Ethernet sticks in many moons so I only speak from past experience.

I also don't like your channels on One. Have you tried messing around with that?
Are you sure the regulatory stuff for country code is working correctly?
Country FCC US is your domain?

I was surprised to see 802.11n showing for you. It was only 802.11g when I used it.

Question: Does the USB stick work ok in client mode?
Hostapd can be tricky to get setup and it's possible hostapd could be broken on it.

The dirty nitty gritty here is hostapd. If your having trouble don't run the daemon.
Run it from the command prompt and add -vvv for maximum debugging output. Use a log.

In my experience, USB to ethernet adapters work fine under FreeBSD, and device brand doesn't matter. Such devices just show up as ue0 when you run ifconfig, and then all the usual options and command-line flags apply no problem. Wi-Fi is still finicky with specific chipsets, even if you plug in a USB stick. :/

Back