Solved Run xfce4, fluxbox, windowmaker by choice

Please tell me how to run xfce4, fluxbox, windowmaker by choice.
freebsd 12.2-release system, slim window manager

AFAIK, wasn't it possible to switch between the /usr/local/share/xsessions by pressing F1? (If the WM or DE creates such a file ofc)

1. As advised by good people, I create a file in the user's home folder # vi /usr/home/clios/.xinitrc of such content:
#!/bin/sh exec startxfce4 exec fluxbox exec wmaker
2. Installing the graphical login manager # pkg install x11/sddm
3. Edit the file # vi /etc/ttys, the 8th terminal
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/sddm -nodaemon" cons25r on secure
4. # kill -HUP 1
4.1 # echo 'sddm_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
delete the slim line in /etc/rc.conf
5. # service sddm restart
6. When starting sddm, enter the user password: XXXXXXXXXX

Special thanks to the masters: Alexander8820, eternal_noob

1. As advised by good people, I create a file in the user's home folder # vi /usr/home/clios/.xinitrc of such content:

This was only meant for slim and you should take only one WM/DE.

Because you use sddm you can drop the file /usr/home/clios/.xinitrc because sddm loads the sessions nicely from /usr/local/share/xsessions automatically.

Please do not forget to mark your topic as "done" by editing your first post and putting a "solved" prefix in the heading :)

To select a window manager or desktop environment take a look on the port x11-wm/selectwm - it's especially for that use case; You just use selectwm as "window manager", and after a login you can choose the desired environment. You can also set a default, which starts after X seconds (configurable). So there's no special login manager needed, this works graphical on the user side.

Back