run web browser in FB

Hey, is it possible to run say, firefox (any version) in the frame buffer? without the need of X, or is there any browser that can do this that is not text based only?

I know there are libraries for allowing this, I think Quake 3 used one.. don't remember.

There exist mir(linux),wayland,svgalib but my knowledge is incomplete. It is told firefox & falkon can work with wayland on linux.

is it possible to run say, firefox (any version) in the frame buffer? without the need of X, or is there any browser that can do this
Any Qt-based program can run in framebuffer mode without X, since Qt natively supports different backends, including the FB:
Code:
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=bsdfb myqtprogram
Simple search brings e.g. QtWeb, you can also easily write your own Qt-based web-page rendering program using Qt's modules.

Any Qt-based program can run in framebuffer mode without X, since Qt natively supports different backends, including the FB:
Code:
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=bsdfb myqtprogram
Simple search brings e.g. QtWeb, you can also easily write your own Qt-based web-page rendering program using Qt's modules.

A quick test with /usr/local/share/examples/qt5/webengine/minimal showed that graphics output seems mostly to work (some regions of the Qt example page where mirrored), but, mouse and keyboard input are being kept by the console. Is there anyway, to switch the focus of mouse and keyboard to the application running in the FB?

A quick test with /usr/local/share/examples/qt5/webengine/minimal showed that graphics output seems mostly to work (some regions of the Qt example page where mirrored), but, mouse and keyboard input are being kept by the console. Is there anyway, to switch the focus of mouse and keyboard to the application running in the FB?

Had not even thought about that, crap that's an entirely seperate issue
damn

I know this is an older post but I have been looking for the same abilities. There is the NetSurf browser that can be built to use the FB. The only issue I have with NetSurf is it's javascript engine is not able to work with many websites such as my Banks website. There is a port and package for NetSurf but they default to Xwindows and you would have to build it from ports with the proper switches. For more info check out https://www.netsurf-browser.org/

...it's javascript engine is not able to work with many websites such as my Banks website.
As I mentioned above, QT works with FB directly. I built a simple browser for a commercial embedded product where JS is used very extensively. It's based on old WebKit, now QT includes WebEngine which is supposed to support all the modern JS stuff.

Back