rtfree message displayed in kernel logs

Hello everybody.

I am writing here in order to have informations about a messages displayed in my kernel log file. The message is the following :

Code:
Jun  7 03:21:21 ares kernel: rtfree: 0xffffff00690751f0 has 2 refs
Jun  7 03:21:55 ares last message repeated 18 times
Jun  7 03:22:21 ares last message repeated 5 times

This behavior appears randomly but there is a common point : This warning appears always at the same hour which is beteween 03:00 and 03:20 CEST.

The box seems to work perfectly but however I have some interrogations about this message :

- Why this message appears ? I checked the source code but didn't really understand except that it seems to be link with the routing process
- Is it critical ?
- Which process or kernel tasks can provoke this behavior ?
- Is there a way to resolve it ?

My configuration is the following :

- FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE with GENERIC Kernel
- Multi IPV4 adresses
- IPV6 enabled

Thanks for your answers

Regards,

Right now, IPV6 is not in use but I will need it in the future. I am going to disable it and check the message appears again.

Do you have information about this issue ? Does it concern IPV6 ?

Thanks for the link.

I checked the code for the function nd6_ns_input and I confirm that a call to rtfree is done in stead of RTFREE_LOCKED but I am not so expert in the Freebsd code to tell if it is a bug or not.

Should I open a PR ?

Have you tried disabling IPv6? If it goes away then it might be some regression that crept in. Also try to get the latest patch for 7.2-RELEASE. That should be 7.2-RELEASE-p1. That patch also includes one for IPv6. Not sure if it will fix this issue though.

http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-09:10.ipv6.asc

If the problem still persists I would file a PR.

FWIW I run 7.2-STABLE and use IPv6 but I haven't seen that error.

Back