Solved rsync missing libcrypto

Hi everyone,

openssl came along with a recent curl update. Now rsync is complaining:

Code:
rsync: server sent "ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypto.so.11" not found.

Openssl updated 11 to 12, so libcrypto.so.12 seems to be current and libcrypto.so.11 was renamed to .111.

Did an openssl reinstall, did a rsync reinstall, set 755 on libcrypto.so.111 and made a softlink libcrypto.so.11 -> libcrypto.so.111 in /usr/local/lib, /usr/lib and /lib; nothing changed.

Any other suggestions very welcome.

PS/BTW: on one of my other servers mariadb had similar issues with libssl after the same updates, but a reinstall of mariadb fixed that.

set 755 on libcrypto.so.111
Libraries should not be executable. Don't do this.

made a softlink libcrypto.so.11 -> libcrypto.so.111 in /usr/local/lib, /usr/lib and /lib;
Never, ever, solve library issues this way. That's going to haunt you at a future date. Undo all of it.

What version of FreeBSD and are you using the FreeBSD packages? Or are you building your own packages/ports?

I'm on 13.2 & using ports. If i'm not mistaken there's a fair amount of ports handling updates with symlinks.

I'm on 13.2 & using ports
Did you set DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=openssl perhaps?

net/rsync simply uses whatever SSL has been set as default. If you didn't set DEFAULT_VERSIONS it would just link to the OpenSSL of the base.

So, what did you set in /etc/make.conf?

Entry in make.conf makes no difference. Installation succeeds, error message in any case the same.
Setting DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl111 results in "You are using an unsupported SSL provider openssl111"

Regardless of whether the ports tree is up to date or not. The compilation of rsync should have aborted due to the missing library. Maybe you have one floating around in a place that is searched by the compiler/linker but not the runtime linker?

Removed all references to openssl12 manually, set DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl and reinstalled rsync. It installed openssl as a dependency.

Seems okay for now.

Back