RPi.GPIO

balanga

Son of Beastie

Not sure if this should go here or in Embedded...

I'm trying to build an RPi.GPIO module for FreeBSD to allow Python programs to easily interact with GPIO on a Raspberry Pi. Apparently under Raspian it is as easy as running
pip3 install RPi.GPIO

Here is what I got on FreeBSD on a RPi2:-
Code:
RPi.GPIO
  Using cached RPi.GPIO-0.6.3.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: RPi.GPIO
  Running setup.py install for RPi.GPIO ... [?25l- \ | / error
    Complete output from command /usr/local/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-ax9qhiic/RPi.GPIO/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-ah575x8n-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile:
    running install
    running build
    running build_py
    creating build
    creating build/lib.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6
    creating build/lib.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6/RPi
    copying RPi/__init__.py -> build/lib.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6/RPi
    creating build/lib.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6/RPi/GPIO
    copying RPi/GPIO/__init__.py -> build/lib.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6/RPi/GPIO
    running build_ext
    building 'RPi._GPIO' extension
    creating build/temp.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6
    creating build/temp.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6/source
    /usr/bin/cc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -Wunreachable-code -DNDEBUG -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -fPIC -I/usr/local/include/python3.6m -c source/py_gpio.c -o build/temp.freebsd-11.1-RELEASE-arm-3.6/source/py_gpio.o
    source/py_gpio.c:87:4: error: function definition is not allowed here
       {
       ^
    source/py_gpio.c:143:10: warning: implicit declaration of function 'cleanup_one' is invalid in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
             cleanup_one();
             ^
    source/py_gpio.c:200:24: error: function definition is not allowed here
       int setup_one(void) {
                           ^
    source/py_gpio.c:293:13: warning: implicit declaration of function 'setup_one' is invalid in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
           if (!setup_one())
                ^
    source/py_gpio.c:345:21: error: function definition is not allowed here
       int output(void) {
                        ^
    source/py_gpio.c:419:18: error: called object type 'PyObject *' (aka 'struct _object *') is not a function or function pointer
          if (!output())
               ~~~~~~^
    source/py_gpio.c:475:18: error: called object type 'PyObject *' (aka 'struct _object *') is not a function or function pointer
          if (!output())
               ~~~~~~^
    source/py_gpio.c:581:32: warning: comparison of integers of different signs: 'const int' and 'unsigned int' [-Wsign-compare]
          if (*(*pin_to_gpio+chan) == gpio)
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^  ~~~~
    3 warnings and 5 errors generated.
    error: command '/usr/bin/cc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
[31mCommand "/usr/local/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-ax9qhiic/RPi.GPIO/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-ah575x8n-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-ax9qhiic/RPi.GPIO/[0m
[?25hroot@rpi2:~

Any ideas as to what is missing here?

aragats

Daemon

I believe we already discussed this project here. It relies on /proc and /sys virtual filesystems which don't exist in FreeBSD.
You can easily get rid of /proc dependency though by rewriting the corresponding part.
Actually it's strange that they use /dev/mem and still need /sys/class/gpio.

OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

I believe we already discussed this project here. It relies on /proc and /sys virtual filesystems which don't exist in FreeBSD.
You can easily get rid of /proc dependency though by rewriting the corresponding part.
Actually it's strange that they use /dev/mem and still need /sys/class/gpio.

I realise that this topic was discussed elsewhere but I was trying to figure out what the python errors were related to....

I think it's important to have an RPi.GPIO module for FreeBSD as it would make more GPIO python apps available on FreeBSD, but I don't think building such a module is something I'm capable of, so I hoped that pip3 install RPi.GPIO
might just do the trick....

aragats

Daemon

I think it's important to have an RPi.GPIO module for FreeBSD as it would make more GPIO python apps available on FreeBSD
A agree, it would be great to have such a module, but the backend has to be reworked. My point is why spending time on something which will not serve in it's current state since relies on Linux backend...

OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

I'm not technical enough to know what reworking needs to be done, but would gladly spend time testing any possible solution and providing feedback.

A Google search for 'freebsd rpi gpio' shows that there is plenty of expertise in accessing GPIO on RPi under FreeBSD so there must be someone capable of creating a python RPi.GPIO module...

gfx

Have you tried Python bindings for FreeBSD libgpio in this github repo ?
https://github.com/evadot/fbsd_gpio_py

But first -- depending on the Python version that you use -- you should install one of the cffi packages below:
Code:
pkg install py27-cffi-1.7.0
Code:
pkg install py36-cffi-1.7.0