Root password does not login? Cannot create in password in single user mode?

tentimesobelix

Hi Forum,

When I boot up FreeBSD for the first time
(not completely the first time - as I've had earlier versions installed and had the same problem,
but didn't report it because I was trying to find a solution.) the root password or the user password
just says login incorrect. I am sure the passwords were correct 100%.
So eg.
Code:
Login: root
          Password: this-is-not-the-correct-password-it-has-Letters-Numbers-and-Symbols-in-it
Error: Login incorrect
So I boot into single user mode and I type:
mount -u -o rw /
then password root
try a few password combinations, get them right 100%, but it still comes up with Error: Password Mismatch, press EOF to quit.
then vipw
then get rid of the "c" in csh in the root area up the top. Probably cause I think its caused by the root shell not being sh.
This does not work. Is there something wrong with my hardware?
It doesn't like all that Advanced Configuration Power Interface stuff.
Errors with that could be related I suppose.

ShelLuser

Son of Beastie

Are you sure this happened on FreeBSD and not some kind of derivative? Reason I ask is because FreeBSD doesn't have a password command. That error message is also not something I'd associate with a vanilla FreeBSD environment.

Also: changing the shell from csh into sh won't help with this because password issues have nothing to do with the shell itself.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with with your hardware, it's more likely that this is a misconfigured setup.

OP
OP
T

tentimesobelix

The Error wasn't Password Mismatch, btw. I am sorry but I can't seem to get a screenshot of it. It began with
Code:
 (pw) error
Sorry it was passwd and not password like you said. No its not a derivative. And its the stable FreeBSD Release 11.2. But earlier versions didn't work either.
I tried ZFS or UFS automated in the setup. Never tried to manually partition my disk or from the shell. Configured ZFS stripe to use 1 Hard Disk. Accepted the 4K Cluster
size. Changed the Swap Size from 2G to 16G (twice my RAM). Didn't Encrypt disk or Swap. If I installed using UFS the next time round (because of the same passwd error), I accepted
the defaults.
I networked an ethernet cable with a 4G modem all setup. I set my hostname as snake.reptiles365.net.au (made up) and place that above the nameserver numbers. Maybe this is where It went
wrong. Networking never seems to get right for me after the installation. I am the system administrator so I have no one to ask but you ladies and gentlemen for help.

I also enabled the moused, the ntpd and the powerd (as its a laptop), went into security preferences and randomized new processes, disabled remote logging and disabled sendmail.
Do these options make it fail and should be left alone?
Also when adding a user account, I set the login class to staff (because I am an OpenBSD user and it increases performance if you tweak login.conf settings. But this shouldn't affect
the root account practically being disabled.
Anyway I probably should learn how to avoid the root account, create my LAN over Wifi (I mean connect all my computers together with Kerberos, OpenSSH and LDAP or something) and use
password-less logins. But in the mean time, do you know anything about my problems?