Solved Root mount waiting for: usbus3

My system displays the message
Root mount waiting for: usbus3
and I can't figure out why.

When it eventually gets to a mountroot> prompt I enter ufs:/dev/ada0p3 and it continues

/etc/fstabcontains
/dev/ada0p3 / ufs rw 1 1

so it looks like fstab is not being read. I have another installation on ada0p2 which works without any problem.

How do I figure out what's causing the problem?

Solely basing myself on the error messages I guess your USB isn't ready yet at the time the kernel tries to mount the filesystem.

This is only a theory of mine because you're not giving us much to go on, but it's not uncommon that certain bioses provide support to boot from USB. However, this doesn't imply that the used operating system can also automatically access the USB device(s).

My guess is that the OS needs a little more time to reset / re-enable the USB device before it can boot, or that it doesn't properly support said USB device.

Solely basing myself on the error messages I guess your USB isn't ready yet at the time the kernel tries to mount the filesystem.

This is only a theory of mine because you're not giving us much to go on, but it's not uncommon that certain bioses provide support to boot from USB. However, this doesn't imply that the used operating system can also automatically access the USB device(s).

My guess is that the OS needs a little more time to reset / re-enable the USB device before it can boot, or that it doesn't properly support said USB device.

Actually there are no USB devices attached.

I don't understand why the system should be waiting for usbus3.
Any ideas on how I can debug this?

I've just found out what the difference was the was which caused one installation to work and another to stop and don't really understand why, but... Both installations were launched from a Grub menuentry, however the one which worked normally was invoked using
kfreebsd /boot/loader
and the one which stopped used
kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
I've changed the second and now it works OK.

I'd be interested to know why...

Back