UFS Root Mount Error on FreeBSD boot up.

First time I use the forum's "Ignore" function.

Haha. His responses are a bit funny to me too. But I think it's because he doesn't understand how these suggestions relate or tie in together. Based on their current suggestions, k.jaker and SirDice will get him to the solution soon it looks like. But since he's refusing to post the screen-shot I've requested from him, they keep having to assume and guess which partition he needs to boot from (or try to boot).

linux->bsd
I am a bit hesitant to reply, because I am not sure whether it is desirable when people comment about others in the forum. Anyway...

Isn't it amazing how that guy turned down for example tobik@'s offer to help?
If I were him, I'd be really happy that a developer cared about assisting, and would hurry to provide the information being requested.

Another thing is, this guy gets paid for solving the problem.
And he apparently expects others to queue up and beg to invest their time to do his work for free.

I find this extreme. I believe in this forum I never before saw people behaving like that guy.
And above all that, he is apparently one of those who only take, but do not care to give back.

So I wonder why people still care to help him, instead of teaching him a lesson by just ignoring him.
This is why I squelched that guy.

(@Mods, please feel free to delete this post if you deem it inappropriate.)

So I wonder why people still care to help him, instead of teaching him a lesson by just ignoring him.

Because the purpose of this forum is to help FreeBSD users in need of help. It's not primarily a place for FreeBSD users to socialize, but instead a place to offer help to FreeBSD users in order to promote FreeBSD.

As for me, I do it because when I see a problem I know the solution to, or think I can help resolve, it bugs me seeing the problem go unresolved. I mostly come here to read about FreeBSD problems and how they're solved so that I can learn more about FreeBSD and find solutions to issues I might encounter in the future.

PS. My earlier post wasn't "commenting about others," it was an attempt to explain to you why his replies might seem so strange. And it hopefully explains to that user how the suggestions all relate to one another.

I appreciate how tobik@ and SirDice (and others) take the time to help out and would not ignore them. My approach is: write down all the suggestions, and then try to put them together. These people know the system very well and are very likely to get to a solution.

k.jacker to your response the only problem I am aware that this system has is that I am unable to mount the root filesystem to complete the boot process. This is the last stage in the boot process according to the freebsd.org handbook after this I should receive a multi-user prompt to login. There is no broken geom nor is there any GPT corruption I addressed those problems earlier and no corruption was found. What is non-standard about this parition layout? I used GPT to create 15 paritions I do not know what is not standard about that. The /dev/da0p2 is the root parition that is what this error message says is the problem and the one I should mount. Why are you using the ada0 controller/drive names again in your response? We've already concluded that da0 is the correct drive/controller name to use from the gpart show output so I do not know why you are bringing that up again when I received the responses from you and SirDice. I even looked up the FreeBSD device names in this book I have "The complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey and in that table it only lists da0 and wd0 as FreeBSD hard drive/controller device names as SirDice mentioned earlier. I already verified the data on the partitions when I did the restore and it's fine before I even posted on this board. This error message doesn't say anything about data corruption or files missing. What exactly do labels have to do with this error message? The /etc/fstab file already has the correct devices that was the suggestion of this message and I've already done that. Why do you need to know the entire layout of my disk? This error message only pertains to the root partition. We already know what the root parition is /dev/da0p2. That last statement you made I've already done when I completed the restore before I even posted on this forum. If you look at that screenshot that I posted everything is correct and root partition still does not mount. Aside from these statements I made in response to you telling you I already addresses these problems do you see anything else missing in those error message suggestions because I do not. Look forward to your response.

k.jacker have you been able to look at this message?

Back