root login issue in KDE4

Hi all,
I am new to FreeBSD and install a virtual machine image for FreeBSD 8 on VMWare Player 3 on a Windows XP PC. I follow the instruction on How to install and configure a FreeBSD 8 Desktop with Xorg and KDE?. I install Xorg and KDE4 successfully on virtual machine. I create a normal account "pigling" and a root account. Following above link, I make a GUI auto login for my normal account. And here comes the problem.
1. I login to KDE and can't use su command. It always tell "Su: sorry" error message.
2. I can't login to KDE with my root account as it will prompt "root account can't be allowed to login" message.
3. I can't login my root account in command shell after reboot as it immediately changes to auto login screen before I can key in anything in command shell.

I try to do something in KDE login center in GUI. But I can't find where it is (can't search that in System). Now the situation is a deadlock. I need root privilege to do change but KDE doesn't let me login as root or use su command in KDE. I can only use it as a normal account. How could I solve this issue? Thanks.

regards,
pigling

just check again. My normal account not in "wheel" group or operator group. So now I lost last chance to give my normal account the privilege for su command. How can I disable KDE auto login without root privilege? The last way is to re-install the whole image, isn't it?

Go to the site that you listed. Go to step 6 (enable kdm). Depending on if you enabled it the "new" way or the "old" way here are the steps.

New way
Code:
ee /etc/rc.conf
remove the local_startup="${local_startup} /usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d line. Also remove the kdm4_enable="YES from here.

Old way
Code:
ee /etc/ttys
scroll down to the line that you changed to "ttyv8 "/usr/X11R6/kde4/bin/kdm" xterm on secure" and change it to ttyv8 "/usr/X11R6/kde4/bin/kdm" xterm off secure"

Hi xguru,
Thanks for your kindly help. I tried your suggestion but it can't allow me to save the change. The problem is that I have no su privilege in normal user.

phoenix said:
CTRL+ALT+F1 will take you to a console where you can login as root and make the required changes.

Seems it doesn't work for me in VMware player 3. Thanks.

Nothing else to do but to boot in single user mode. Then:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

Now edit /etc/rc.conf and remove the kdm4_enable.

Add yourself to wheel:
# pw group mod wheel -m username

Or install and configure security/sudo.

SirDice said:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

Add yourself to wheel:

I can't even enter into command shell mode before auto KDE login screen.

SirDice said:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

Add yourself to wheel:

sorry for previous post. It works for me. Thanks.

Back