IPF Roku and MAC address

My firewall is FreeBSD using ipf with a LAN and a DMZ. My LAN is on 192.168.1.0/24 and the DMZ is 192.168.2.0/24. I bought a Roku and plugged it wired into my LAN switch and it can't get out. In the Roku secret screen it has an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and a MAC address.

Is it possible to set an IP address in my firewall for that MAC address so the Roku can get access? I don't run a DHCP server and won't set one up. I can't believe I'm the only person in the world who wants:

modem-->firewall-->LAN switch-->devices

Where the Roku is one of the devices.

I don't run a DHCP server and won't set one up
You probably are but didn't realize it. Most SOHO internet modem/routers have one built-in (something is providing private net IP addresses to your LAN machines). You can usually add static addresses there too.

... I bought a Roku and plugged it wired into my LAN switch and it can't get out. In the Roku secret screen it has an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and a MAC address.

... I don't run a DHCP server and won't set one up.

Since you have your home network setup with static IP address assignments only and no DHCP server, why did you think it would work without going into a configuration interface to set-up a static IP address? It seams something like that would be a question for a Roku forum before coming to a FreeBSD forum.

If you had gone to a Roku forum, you would have quickly learned that the Roku requires DHCP for network setup. It does not support static IP address assignments. Proof of this is left to the reader as an exercise in google-fu.

The Roku is a nice little media player device. I like it better than the google-stick thing or the AppleTV (I don't live in the USA so no Amazon-tv-thing for me). You may want to consider adding a DHCP server to your network.

If you are dead-set on not having a DHCP server, which Roku did you get? If it's one of the high-end new ones, I might be interested.

Back